tone caps

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by CocoTone, Apr 22, 2008.

1. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Do you have to have a tone cap?? What would it sound like without one? I am trying to brighten up a dark neck pickup on a 335.

CT.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Try a 1 meg volume pot ,should add a bit of top ,and a .22 orange drop or a paper and oil.

3. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

You can disconnect the tone control; a pickup can function without one. How much of a difference you hear, were you do disconnect it, will depend upon the values of the components in the tone control, particularly the pot. If the value of the tone pot happened to be 250K you would notice more of a difference by disconnecting it than if the tone pot happened to be 500K, or 1Meg.

When the tone contol is full on, the value of the cap makes some, small difference, but not everyone will hear it. You really start hearing the difference in values of the tone cap when you start backing off on the control.

4. rooster

rooster Member

Just a couple suggestions: first, if you're going into any rewiring on a 335, you might as well do some research on pickups; the labor for installing or modifying the electronics is higher than most, so that's the time to do any pickup swapping you might have in mind. Also, you could look into a "no-load" pot for the tone control, where the wiper strip inside the pot is disconnected at the top of the rotation, so at "10" on the knob, the tone cap is completely out of the circuit.

rooster.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

My first suggestion would be to check whether your existing pots really measure what they're supposed to. If the readings are lower than the rated resistance, everything will be darker sounding by default. You can also try "no load" tone pots which are totally bypassed when cranked. Since this is a 335 working on the electronics is considerably more difficult, so it might be worthwhile to just change out all the pots & caps at one time and be done with it. And as rooster said, if you're not sure about the pickups, do your homework because this would be the best time to do that as well.

6. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I put in 500 pots in on the weekend. What a bitch of a job. Had to pull all that **** out three times, as I broke a wire puttting it all back in, so I don't want to do it again!!:jo The guitar brightened up considerably, but the neck is still a bit dark for my tatses. The bridge is perfect. I really like the Classic 57 pickups, so I won't be swapping them out.
    Otherwise I am absolutely loving this guitar. I played at least 20 335's before I settled on this Faded. This one had the tone, the feel, and the right"mojo" I was looking for, over all the historics, Memphis, and blocks I played. The Faded are a real good bargain. Paid 1750 Canadian brand new with case.

CT.

[​IMG]

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Very cool guitar. If the neck is still too dark, the easiest thing to try would be lowering the neck pickup slightly, but not so far as to lose output strength. Any other solution is going to involve wiring mods which, as you know, is no fun at all.

8. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I think I solved the problem!!!! The bright switch on my amp!!!! Duh!!:jo What a friggin' difference!! THIS THING IS A TONE MONSTER NOW!!!
    I am satisfied. Sound clips to follow soon!!!:AOK

CT.

9. amp boy

amp boy Member

oh wow........hahhaahaaaaa.
    hoo raaa for happy endings!!!