tone difference in punch-ins with Cubase?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by campersand, Jun 6, 2006.

1. campersand

campersand Member

While editing some gutiar punches last night, my friend and I noticed that on many of the punches, the tone was a little less bright and the volume was a little lower than on the original track. This doesn't really make any sense, since we did the punches right after doing the original, so nothing changed.

Anyone else ever experience this or have any guesses as to what's going on?

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

What program?

maybe a little voltage drop if you had a small power surge? Try restarting and punching...see what it does.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I'm an idiot. Cubase. Anyways, it really depends on your power and CPU. I've noticed this happening a couple times before when I've used a PC + Cubase.

4. campersand

campersand Member

Cubase (see topic ;) )
    It's possible but I don't think that's it, because there were some spots where I did a 'punch' that lasted around 30 or 40 seconds and the tone/volume difference lasted throughout the whole punch.

[edit] also, there weren't any spots within any of the original takes that had dropouts like that, which makes it seem like there's something going on only during the punches.

5. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

It won't be a software issue, most likely a player issue. Not raggin on anyone, I just notice I do it myself. I'll play something and come back to fix, and I'm hitting harder, or not as hard, and have to find the "mood" again.

6. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane Supporting Member

Hmm, I've often wondered why I was getting the same thing with Cakewalk. I just figured that my raw emo in the original take was at a higher level than when I punched in. I simply didn't play the strings as hard.

I tried +3dB and EQing, but I still can't get a punch in to match, even on my Tascam hard disk recorder.

I just do one takes now. And yes, that means starting over if I flub the second-to-the-last note.

7. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Another thing is to make sure that any settings on the guitar's knobs, or the amp's knobs, haven't changed. Happened to me once or twice.

8. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I've been punching in for 30 + years. From 4 track cassettes to 8 track reel to reels to ADATs and now with a hard disc recorder. It's the performance that changes from take to take. Very small differences in emphasis show up during playback. Just do it a lot and you'll get better.

9. elambo

elambo Member

It's not the program. It's the player or the guitar or guitar rig. Just equal out the volume of the punches by raising gain to match the rest. Not big deal. It happens all the time. I'm just happy enough to match my tone when punching on the following day, much less levels.