Tone Freak Severe vs Suhr Riot who has compared them side by side?

They both come up as some of the best Distortion boxes currently and I'm looking to pair this pedal up with a Blackface Fender. Who has both and what's your views. I'm not after a which is best as tone is subjective, but which seems more aggresive, which is smoother, which rolls off better with volume etc.
Any help would be appreciated.

beej

Man, there aren't many Riots out there in the wild yet. So it'll likely be a while before you hear a lot of opinions from someone that has both.

Man, there aren't many Riots out there in the wild yet. So it'll likely be a while before you hear a lot of opinions from someone that has both.
I hear what your saying but I thought than anyone who now has a Riot would likely have owned a TF Severe or played one.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
This is why you use search :) You would have found my three comparison videos.

forum_crawler

So far, I would say the riot has the better sound demos out there that I have seen. There is even a butt kicking video of it paired with a Peavey ValveKing, so I did find it impressive.

The only good demo of the severe I have heard was the one with an ODS100, so that isn't a really fair demo.

My vote so far, from what I have seen goes to the riot.

This is why you use search :) You would have found my three comparison videos.
My apologies Guitar Josh, I did try the search function but somehow did not come across your demo until now. It was very informative and clearly shows up some differences. I found the Suhr more Soldano style and the Tone Freak more Bogner (ish). Thanks for the demo.

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
I tried both and came home with a Severe... Love it!! So much versatility, tone, color, umph, growl, ... just WOW.

tylerfreak

i tried my severe with a fender 65 deluxe reverb...OMG!...something about that combination was absolutely NASTY! very amplike and pushed TONS of air...the riot is a killer pedal, im actually looking for one right now, but with the deluxe, the severe took on a whole new attitude...almost sounded like the riot in a lot of respects...lots of clips w the severe sound like a SLO with whatever amp, but with the deluxe i have to say it sounded like it had less gain (haha, less gain w the severe right?!!!) but much more useable push, like a nasty modded marshall/mesa recto.

KILLER!

tylerfreak

forgot to mention that the riot DOES have more useable volume rolloff than the severe...BUT i have not used the riot w a fender blackface; i know the severe kills with it, so unless you can try a riot id go w the severe knowing that its going to be good.

sick1982

Buy both! ;) .. I have the Severe, and like it a LOT, but I don't use it as a stand-alone distortion; I use it to push my amp, works a lot better than regular OD/boost/distortion pedals for that.

I recently switched to a new amp, so I have to check out how the distortion will sound through this amp, but I remembered it's not as "high gain" as you might want it to be.

Note that the Severe has a bright switch which is most usable if you have a bright amp (yes, I think it feels more as being a less-dark switch). Oh, and it has ZERO noise, what I can't say of all Riot demo's floating around.

Got a friend bringing a riot by on thursday to try out, maybe buy but I also want to try the severe. I'm basically trying to find an overdrive that's little more high gain and a little tighter than my OCD v4 for my JTM45.

Trending Topics