Tone/Gear review/suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papablue, Feb 9, 2006.

1. papablue

papablue Member

As we all do, I'm going through the phase of 'am I happy with my tone?'
    Can you look at my gear and make any suggestions as far as set up or things to do to help my tone?

PRS Std 24 - Whammy IV - RMC III - Fulldrive II (older blue version) - Fat Boost - DejaVibe (big gold one) - DD3 - Boss Tuner - Boss Loopstation - 80's Evil Twin.

Should I use my effects loop? (if so how? never have)

http://www.heavyfogmusic.com/music/

Also, this is a link to a bunch of rehearsal takes of some of my bands cuts. Rehearsal takes is key.
    Please advise what suggestions you would make of tone there, as well.
    As far as influences go and my mindset...I was heavily influenced by Trey Anastasio, but not so much w/in the past 4 years. Jimmy Herring, Scofield, Robben Ford, others. I try to play more out and tasty fusion style but as shown it isn't always the case.

Please ....ALL SUGGESTIONS/CRITIQUES ARE ENCOURAGED AND WELCOME.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Maybe add a Zendrive and replace the TU-2 with a StroboStomp..?

3. Dreamtone

Dreamtone Member

I think you had your volume lvl set weird when you recorded Spooky the singer sounds real good but the guitar needs a EQ in there badly. Everyone is different but I like my lvls set so i can uttlize loud and soft playing. So I can really hit the strings hard and it wouldn't blow people out of the first row..=) It sounded tenitive like the guitarist was holding back a little. Over all you guys got a nice sound and there could be many varibles that could effect the sound. Where was the mic(s) when this was recorded or was it direct?

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd stick the whammy in a true bypass looper

5. papablue

papablue Member

Dreamtone, the levels were off just as the recording nature, I believe. Not a perfect setup. Just using it now to playback and see what needs to be fixed. On Spooky, that was our first time through and just jamming on it. Nothing serious. The singers excellent. Plays our keys role, too. Everything is now individually miced, then run through our board and into a cd burner. Not the best way. We now have a Korg mixer that we're toying with. When you said EQ, did you mean pedal, or work with the amp?

Moe, I've never gotten involved w/ the effects loop. Can you tell me how to go about doing it? (treat me like an idiot. not too far off) ***** edit - sorry I didn't see you said true bypass looper. can you point me in a direction? brand? ****

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 on the Zendrive. For your style and influences it would be right on. I thought the Deja sounded kinda blatty on that first one during the first solo(not in the usual deja kinda way.) Were you using your FD2 or fatboost in that clip? Hell, try keeping the deja off for your first solo. Then during the second solo turn it on. Nice smooth playing. It sounded like you were trying to get the levels of your rhythm at the beginning straight. Sounded nice once everything got evened out. Maybe a nice studio like compressor to even things out? Everytime I would get into the song you would do that STOP.... thing, then everyone try to start back in... tell the singer to let the drummer lead that one (the one at 1:48 was much better). Otherwise, I felt like it kinda threw off the sweet vibe ya got goin. Nice stuff overall!! I really liked ricky's theme.

EDIT: Ahh, I see just a run through. Well then, VERY NICE!! :)

7. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey man (just a note - i made the same rec over at the 'bus, which seems to be down right now for maintenance). In addition to the Whammy, i'd put the DD-3 and the loopstation in TB loops as well, and move the Dejavibe closer to the beginning of your chain.

As for brands, definately do a search around here for TB loops - the few that come to mind right now are Loooper, Wobo and Loop-master. Additionally, Keeley and Analogman offer single loops (i don't believe they offer multiples). These can be, if you have any knowledge of electronics, be made reletively simply and inexpensively. From the Rhombus, both myself and moandj have been building these for other members for the last few months...

Brian

8. papablue

papablue Member

Thanks for the praises, all.
    I'll check out the Zendrive. Give it a whirl. Are you saying in addition or in stead of the FD2?
    I think I tend to overuse the Vibe, especially in this setting to get a little swirl that we lack w/o an organ. And it fills things up really well, too.

Brian, I am going to try fooling around w/ my chain tonight as well as settings. I'll look into a True Bypass box. Would putting those units in the effects send help or make no diff?

**** edit - ONE MORE THING, I currently have my amp set as low as it possibly can. Around 1 or so. This is because the volume is just too out of control when I go with the 2nd channel of the FD2. And adding the FatBoost to it, forget about it. I almost always leave the first channel of the FD2 on as my rhythm/clean tone. Has a little bite but still is clean. Add my FatBoost for lighter leads or licks, do just my 2nd channel of the FD2 for solos or if I need to get on top even more add the FatBoost to that. Suggestions???

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

OK, toss the FD2 after you get a ZEN (long wait), swap amps for something more along your vol requirements (deluxe reverb?) so you can work them tubes. Right now at volume of 1 you aren't barely putting your tubes to use. If you have to run it on 1 I dont even know if an attenuator would be up your alley, as you would have to attenuate it down so low it would probably kill any tone you would have. After you toss the FD2 and TWIN pickup a deluxe reverb and use the amps clean (if you like the FD2 with a little grit for your cleans, wait till ya hear the deluxe's tubes giving you that natural grit). Then use the fatboost to push your amp for a dirty rhythm sound, or use the zen for lead work. Killer setup!

10. trumpus

Personally, I would tend to back down on the boost and volume on the FDII and pump your amp's volume. This way, you get all the punch of the clean Fender tone, and it wouldn't take much more to drive the tubes, so a nice little boost from the Fatboost or first stage FDII would give you some nice tube OD, and then you can push it over the top with the second stage of the FDII. Do you have clean headroom issues if you turn the amp up?

As for effects to go in the effects loop, i find it very difficult to play with a looper in real time, if it isn't in the effects loop. Have you noticed that when the loop is playing, if you want to lay down some OD'en lines on top, it drives the loop that is playing back? This won't happen if the looper is in the effects loop. Personally, I have my looper (my DL4), my other delay (DD-5 ) and my Phaser all in the effect loop, but within my effects loop chain, I have the DD-5 and Small Stone in TB loops.

In general, from what i've heard and the rules that i follow, at least initially, are that time-based effects tend to sound better in the effects loop. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can elaborate as to why, but in playing around, i have found this to be true (for whatever reason, within my own setup).

Like i said on the 'bus post - i have a simialr setup and I used to run all of my effects direct. After playing around with placement, i found that my delays, phasers and looper DID, indeed sound better in the effect loop. Ultimately though, whatever you think sounds best, is what's best for you. Try out different configurations. Try one pedal at a time if you are overwhelmed with tweaking your whole chain!

Brian

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I assume you are talking about a twin reverb? 100 watter right? Yeah, that would be ear splitting to get natural tube overdrive. Trust me, I have heard Junior Brown do it, ear splitting with a blanket over the speaker.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Not a big DD3 fan, just too clinical, maybe try out the Diamond Memory Lane? For fusion, I'd get something that gives you sustain without as much distortion as the FDII-Zendrive or Barber Burn Unit. A looper would be a good idea, Tonebond, Looooper, Carl Martin. Something with a buffer might be an idea second in line (wahs like to be first the RMC3 is a true bypass, so that's cool). I love the Klon, but the VHT buffer is good too. Get all the pedals you don't need a lot out to loops (esp. the Whammy). Loop recorder in the effects loop is a good idea if you don't get too much noise from another two cable runs.

13. papablue

papablue Member

I was actualy waiting for a deluxe reverb and had to rent this twin. Once rented I loved the tone (but the rental was for a gig in a large room so I could push it more). Maybe I'll try out the deluxe again. I definitely need to push it more. I agree.
    Whats with the long wait on the zendrive? How long do you think? Just curious.

I think my first move might just be for the new amp. Smaller so I can push it more and USE IT. Im not using the twin at all, really, now.

I'll hang on to the FD2 for now and try it with the deluxe reverb.
    However, I would DEFINITELY prefer more sustain than distortion. I love the clean tones I get and just want it to be pushed. Not crunchy. As of now I haven't not liked hte FD2 but it just may not be what I want for the sound I want.

What is the difference between fx loop in the amp, and bypass looper?

I'm not too concerned on the delay right now, because it's used sparingly, and if my tone i where I want it, it will be used, much less sparingly. More of a textural thing I use with the looper. I've had very little problems with looping in real time with my band, as my drummer is a metronome. Very handy. And I mostly use it for textures, few rhythmic things.

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

The zendrive will sustain for days. Especially with the tubes cookin'

15. papablue

papablue Member

How long for a zen?

16. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

last I heard it was around 8 weeks.

17. papablue

papablue Member

So....got a deluxe reverb reissue.
    Haven't used it in the band yet. Will on Wed.
    The tone is very warm and full.
    Using with the FatBoost, I get a nice breakup.
    However the FD2 seems to kick it up way too much when I use the boost channel. The first channel is good and good relative volume. But the boost is still a bit out of control. Any suggestions?
    Maybe just need more time to dial it in.

Also, not sure how I feel about the DR's reverb. Semi echo-y.

18. trumpus

What are your settings on the FD2? I keep my Volume setting at around 11-12 o'clock, and the boost at about 1 o'clock, this gives me a nice clean boost from the first channel, and the second channel kicks it over the top, you can adjust the volume of the second channel with the boost, not the volume knob.

That was quick on picking up the DR. I don't play Fender amps primarily, but i've heard the stock tubes should be swapped out...

As for the reverb, my only experience with Fender reverb is with my little Blues Junior, so i'm not sure if it is a "fender" thing or not, but the reverb on my Blues jr. is also very echo-y. I keep mine down around 1 or 2. Above that and it sounds too much like i'm playing in a huge room.

Brian

19. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

You might try the FDII 10th aniiv edition,,,,, you would still have your FD2 settings plus youd get the Mosfet version which is similar to the Zen......

20. papablue

papablue Member

I'll try your settings on the FD. Mine were, with the volume pot pulled up - Volume at 10, Tone at 12:30, OD at 11, & Boost was at 1:30.
    I'll try it some other settings.

Haven't heard of hte MOSFET FD. I'd definitely be interested in hearing it. I think I really just need to hear it with the band and then spend some time on my own dialing it in.

Price was right for my trade and with the DR, which is why I got it. It is smaller, lighter and less of an amp. Which I like. Just got to get used to it.