Tone Is In The Amp, Not Fingers!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Here you go, for those who keep bringing it up in my Dumble thread, this is for you!

Have at it, just KEEP IT OUT OF THAT THREAD!!

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You're right Tag, tone IS in the amp. These fools are being led down the Garden path of misconception.

Thank god I don't need to practice anymore now that I've realized I can buy an amp to be like EJ.

Uh.
    EP

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

So you think an amp will give you someones STYLE????? How so?? I have a HR Deville and Gibson Johnny Smith, and i can prettyy much NAIL Bensons tones, but my playing style is very different. How is that possible if an amp gives you a style???

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Tone's in the amp.
    Technique is in the fingers.
    People do get these mixed up all the time tho!!
    Why would Ford use a Dumble if he could sound the same
    thru a Marshall or a Peavey?
    Pretty simple really.

5. iggs

iggs Member

Tone is in the amp ... talent unfortunately isn't.

6. glman

glman Member

I tend to agree with this - style and technique are in the person - Tone is in the Guitar and amp etc....

My reasoning is as follows - if Tone is in the hands then why are there so many different types of amps?
    Lets just make 1 amp and throw everything else away - then tone will be in the hands for real!! - but it will all be the same tone with slightly different setting on the guitar and amp with different playing styles.

I don't think anyone can tell me that they can make an Alessandro Beagle sound like a Komet Concorde flat out!

7. supervillian

supervillian Member

If tone is in the amp, man my amp really sucks.

8. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

LOL!!

So true!

If tone is all in the fingers, I'll just play thru my home stereo!
    Keith
    :D

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

It's not an either/or situation. Tone is in the fingers AND in the amp. This is so obvious I do not even feel the need to explain it.

Over and Out.

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Tone may be in the amp, but my guitar playing fails to show it.:D

11. myles111

myles111 Member

This is all over my head.

All I know is that when somebody like Brad Paisley, Carl Verheyen or Buddy Whittington play my own amps they all sound different and for some reason, even if they use one of my guitars they all sound different and for some other reason they are make me look like ice skater or fast order cook rather than a guitar player in comparison to any them :)

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Of course tone is in the amp (and guitar). But w/o a good player in front of it, it's pretty much like a tree falling in the hypothetical forest, all alone. Stick a mediocre player in front of it and who cares about its tone?

Given a few decent amps, the one that will sound "best" to me is always the one with the best player in front of it. Doesn't really matter how "good" the other amps sound, the one with that cat who can really play is the one I want to hear.

I'm not saying that different amps don't create different tonal possibilities or that all amps are up to the same task equally. That's clearly not the case...but when it comes to getting a good sound, the player makes all the difference in the world...and the amp only makes some of it.

13. randuro

randuro Member

Before anyone talks about "tone". May I suggest the book "Your Brain on Music....the science of a human obsession" by Daniel Levitin. This guy is not only a neurophysiologist, he was also a successful session musician. He spends a great deal of time explaining the whole "tone" thing, and you would be surprised at the truth.

14. myles111

myles111 Member

Actually .... tone is subjective, I agree. Tone to me is a combination of a cool riff or melody with a cool "tone" as in a classic riff off a classic record or in a show that you never forget.

For me, at the 5 minute mark where the guitar solo starts in "Slang Justice" off the Carl Verheyen Rumor Mill DVD ... that is THE classic overdriven classic rock Strat tone example.

15. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

My opinion is that we have all read/seen threads where a bunch of people are discussing a piece of gear (or an artist and their gear) and some jabroni pops in to say; "Tone is in the hands/fingers!". Of course the hands/fingers affect the tone...we didn't need captain obvious to point that out to us. But that's not what the thread was about...it was about gear and it's affect on tone.

However, I don't think we should lower ourselves to their level by saying; "Tone is in the amp...NOT fingers!". Of course fingers/hands affect tone...we knew that all along. It's just that usually when someone says; "Tone is in the hands/fingers!" it's completely out-of-context with the ongoing discussion.

Note: I'm not saying Tag has 'lowered himself to their level'...it's pretty obvious that he just wants folks thinking on that level to stop polluting his Dumble thread and to post in this one (perfectly reasonable).

16. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Tone is the end result of everything in your signal chain - pick/fingers, strings, pick-ups, guitar body wood, fingerboard wood, scale length, cables, pedals, amp, speaker, room, listener's ears.

17. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

actually, the only thing in an amp is an amplifier. It takes sound and makes it louder, thats all. Some people feel the need to make more out of it than that when they spend absurd amounts of money on them.

18. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I was just listening to that last night. Oh man....... :jo:dude:dude

jon

19. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I love it when people ask me how I get my tone. I say, practice. Then I get...yeah, but you got that Matchless (or whatever amp). I say, that's just a tool, practice makes a bigger difference than what I'm playing through. I'm still me no matter what I play. :)