Tone is in the fingers....again. Joe Bonamassa

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Comanche, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Comanche

Comanche Member

2. rufedges

rufedges Member

Joe is an amazing player, and his gear allows him to create the sounds and tones he hears in his head. It is amazing the tones/styles he can create with just a guitar and it's volume knobs........, but he is also playing a highly expensive LP in this video, ...the amp, who knows what it is- maybe a Blues Deluxe, but Kenny Wayne Shepherd has a Dumble in Blues Deluxe housing............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE

If tone was 100% all in the fingers, then all Joe would need is a 300 dollar epiphone and a Blues Jr. - mic'd of course.

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

Sounds like joes tone to me.

4. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Each player is going to sound different using the same gear and settings because in that sense tone is in the fingers. But also, I watched a video of Joe playing a live show where he used 3 or 4 different guitars which all sounded great with his fingers but the blue sparkle thinline tele sounded even more amazing than the others so there's some tone in the guitars, too.

5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

cinnamon sticks

6. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

If you give Joe a crappy Harmony from a pawn shop, it will still sound like Joe.
    If you were allowed to play through Joe's rig, it would still wound like you playing.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

it's still a catch phrase that mostly implies there's no free lunch

you do the work, you put in the hours, you learn your instrument, you treat yo'self and compliment your fingers

i was just watching a brian setzer video and his exact words were he "could never get a sound" out a les paul, strats, firebirds, etc., odd way to say they don't have the tone that inspires him or that he prefers but i know what he meant.

having to explain that a rig and a set of wares, that while not expediently talent defining, are still very important and in some cases a major root of inspiration for the player is redundant/senseless/wonky.

but the brian setzers & the joe bonamassa's of the world really don't require much to get a great tone because if their hands were removed from the equation there would be 0% tone.

9. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Meh. Read a great interview withe def leppard. They had a chance to play through Brian May's rig and May even kindly offerd them access to it for recording sessions. Phil Collen said everything sounded like Queen!

10. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I think a lot of people misunderstand the true intent of the phrase. There's "tone" as the sum of the physical elements of a particular setup (guitar, pedals, amp, speakers, etc.), and then there's "tone" which encompasses all of that AND the particular style/flair of an individual player. The latter is what I think of when I hear that phrase. And I don't think it's a stretch to assert that it's personally identifying and unique.

11. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I'm so tired of this. Tone is only partially in the fingers. There is no way the same guy is going to sound the same through these two different rigs. Period.

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I remember seeing Eric Johnson and a long sound check, when we all heard that great guitar tone, everyone flocked to the stage to see...his tech sound checking his rig. Sounded just like EJ.

EVH's tone sounds nothing like his old Marshall tone. It keeps getting fuzzier and compressed and murky. Except for his phrasing, it sounds like a completely different player playing compared to his old stuff. That's what he wants and that's cool. But don't fool yourself that the gear ain't doin' that. He's said it himself, he's a tone chaser, always chasing new gear/ tubes stuff..I do think more of his touch came thru on his old rig which was much more open and clean sounding.

Tone IS in the person tho', from their phrasing, and the gear they choose and how they set it. What frequencies and gain they use. So, that's kinda why we all should sound want to sound like ourselves, and that's good thing. I don't want to sound like someone else.

13. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Tone is not playing style. Playing style; attack, phrasing and approach. For example; some have a heavy right hand and attack while others have a light touch. There are many, many variables. Yes, if you give Joe a pawn shop Harmony and Fender Frontman 25r, his playing style and phrasings will come through but, the tone will sound like a Harmony through a Fender Frontman. We all look for the right combinations of guitar/amp/pedal to compliment our playing style and find what we would consider great tone.

Take violinists as an example; they would all love to own a Guarneri or Stradivari for its tone. Try giving a concert violinist a $399 Yamaha V3!

14. dazco

dazco Member

The same tired old argument pops up endlessly.....if tone were in the fingers people would use a $79 amp. This is said by people who don't get what it means. People will cite how much difference a pick makes in thier tone yet refuse to belive your playing can alter tone. And thats really what "TIITF" means. It means the ability to mold and shape the tone, NOT make great tone. It comes with experience which is why some dispute it. A great player may sound good with a $79 amp but the tone won't sound as good. What will is how he can manipulate and change it in ways that DO NOT equate to great tone from a garbage amp. If you don't get it, you're either an inexperienced player or a guy that uses uber gain all the time with no dynamics. Flame away, i don't care.

15. RedPlating

RedPlating Member

I definitely hear Joe's tone in that vid.

While there is truth to "tone is in the fingers," there's no denying that your gear impacts your tone.

16. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Would have liked to hear a bit more playing to hear the difference in rigs. From the quick clips they sounded very similar.

17. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

People who believe tone is in the fingers don't spend tens of thousands of dollars on gear.

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't need to flame you, because your on fire already.

You hit it on the head, end of thread.

19. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

So after watching that vid, I'm pretty much done chasing his tone. A true tone geek right there with the money to chase whatever he's looking for. I guess I could get close with say two Kempers and an Axe FX and still save a few hundred thou.

His rig on his latest tour is nothing like that. Very scaled down and he's back to playing strats and teles in addition to the LP's.

20. Dashface

Dashface Member

This is always such a stupid argument. Playing style + gear has a lot to do with your tone. You need both sides.

In my time in a super-authentic Floyd band, I can guarantee you that a huge part of copping his sound was copping his pick attack, phrasing, etc. But - of course - when I got the correct gear, it filled in the other 50%. Nothing brought a smile to my face quite like plugging in the Bill Lewis guitar and playing the Money solo for the first time... Or first running a Yamaha RA-200 and the Cornish gear together with the Hiwatts... That last little bit makes a difference.

Watching that JB tech play, I was struck by how a) he was a killer player, and b) sure, he had a very close tone to JB - because he was playing through JB's rig! Of COURSE he did. Why the heck do we even argue about this crap!