Tone King back in the house

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Feb 4, 2006.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Well, after selling my head/2x12 rig due to some volume issues, my 1x12 combo arrived this week! After going through so many amps, for my taste, this amp is still the king of Fender tone and reverb.

[​IMG]

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Good looking amp! I love my new Tone King Imperial, using it tonight on a small gig. Is it quieter than your last rig?

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Lou, is that the 20 or 40 watter?

4. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

nice, so you like it better than the Allen and Bruno?

5. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

You are so right.

I've had my Comet for years and it isn't going anywhere soon. If I do replace it, it will be with another Tone King. The very best Fender cleans period.

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yes, one less speaker, and slight use of an attenuator and I can get the lead tones at a tolerable level. The 2x12 was just too much.

7. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Absolutely.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

riff, its the 40.

sangre, absolutely better than the allen.

Compared to the Bruno, the Bruno does a very smooth, thick clean, and is a bigger departure from a blackface amp than the Tone King which has more sparkle and is a touch more scooped on the clean channel. The tone king feels a bit less squishy under the fingers. Different amps that both do stellar tones - for me, the tone king just does more and allows more control over the tones and reverb.

I had Mark do a mod on the lead channel that is a 3 way switch that gives a bass boost on the lead channel so that I can set that one clean and use it with overdrive pedals, though I have been really enjoying the thicker tweed cleans as much as the clean channel.

9. AD

AD Supporting Member

Looks sweet - the axe ain't too bad either...what's the effect pedal on the left?

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

Alex, that is a Lovepedal Eternity.

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

Nice looking setup, what's the bridge pup on the Suhr?

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Nice Lou,
    Next time we get together, I'll try to bring my (your) Tone King Meteor II 212 rig.
    That thing is the bizness!
    Thanks again for wanting to downsize!
    I dig that Suhr too...and the Eternity!

:dude

S.
    j

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Lou, do you ever use the amp in 1/2 power mode? If so, how does it sound on the clean channel compared to the full power mode? Does it break up just a bit on the 1/2 power mode?

14. LaXu

LaXu Member

The Tone King Continental I tried several years back is still one of the best sounding clean amps I've tried.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

The clean channel sounds very similar in half power mode, and will break up at a slightly lower level on the volume knob.

Its like going from obscenely loud to only really loud :)

16. chumley

chumley Member

IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/chumforth/IM001946.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see, I was mildly pleased last May when I received my new Tone King Meteor.

17. KLB

KLB Member

Welcome back to the Tone King Club, Lou.

In case you Meteor II guys haven't tried them yet.... You might like the reissue Tung-Sol 5881. Bias around 40-45ma and set the impedence selector on 4 ohms when using the 8 ohm speaker. The 4 ohm setting will reflect a proper load on them, similar to when used in a JTM-45. They will have slightly more power, less mids, and more presence on the 8 ohm tap. I like these tubes even better than the Shuguang/TAD 6L6-WGC. They have a sweet break up and warm, smooth midrange. Sometimes I find the mids on the clean channel are slightly too scooped. These tubes compliment and fill in the clean tone without going overboard.

I need to talk with Mark about the bass mod on the lead channel. On the other hand, I was surprised on my last gig how good the lead channel with a Zendrive fit in the mix. I would have thought it too lean, but it worked great.

Regarding speakers, I'm happy with the stock TK 1891, but I'm always on the prowl for new speakers to try. Someone in a thread elsewhere mentioned that Eminence was working on a JBL E120 clone.

I wonder how the new Celestion G12-65 would sound in it?
    I'd try my Two-Rock 65, but it's in 16 ohms.

Oh well, maybe it's better to leave it alone because it sounds fine like it is!

Cheers,
    Ken