Tone King Comet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rotten, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Can you tell me anything about it? I think I played a Comet 40B and it sounded really great at low volume. It looks like a real good amp, but I didn't have an opportunity to put it through its paces and I can't find anything about it on the Tone King website. Has it been discontinued?

2. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

discontinued-yes

sounds great at louder volumes too- it out-fenders a fender

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Right......discontinued and replaced with the Meteor. The Meteor is a heckuva good "Fender-inspired" amp. Tone Kings are hand built by Mark Bartel and are built like tanks. I've been through too-numereous-to-mention booteek amps with my blues-pop-rock band and the Meteor is my favorite by a good margin.

4. mgctrat

mgctrat Active Member

I love my Comet 40B and would also love to have a Meteor (probably a 2x12 model) and I would like to have a Imperial as well. TKs are amazing amps. I don't think that you can go wrong with anything that Mark has made.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I owned a Comet 40B and I own a Meteor II.

The Comet is an amazing amp - it sounds wonderful. The clean channel sounds great at low volume; the gain (Tweed) channel sounds great, but it's a non master volume design and you have to push it a little to get it up on the pipe. It's not radically loud, but it's not quiet like a master vol or power scaling amp.

The clean channel can be dialed in to sound great at any volume - it also sounds great cranked. Smaller xformers in the Comet so in the Tweed channel it saturates at a slightly lower volume than the Meteor, but it's not quiet - it's like a Tweed Deluxe with headroom on 20w, like a big Tweed Deluxe with headroom on 40w.

Seriously great amp, but not bedroom quiet on gain sounds. Great for small to medium rooms, IMHO.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

The Comet 40B I owned was my fave of all the TK's I've played through.
    S.
    j

7. stbhorn

stbhorn Member

I have a 2x12 mint condition Comet
    That I am thinking about selling.

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'm the current owner of Dana's old Comet 40B...I love this amp and take it out gigging fairly often...I'm looking to get a 1x12 TK with trem to add to the stable....

9. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II 40A here. A VERY big sounding 112. Half power switch and great reverb and trem.
    Run four 6V6s, or two 6L6's or two EL34's.
    I love everything about it.
    Well, I'm cheap so I guess the price could be lower ;)

PS: absolutely GREAT customer service too.