Tone King Extension Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strat56, Dec 22, 2009.

1. strat56

strat56 Supporting Member

Anyone using an extension cabinet with their Tone King?

I have an Avatar G112W open back that I'd like to use as an extension cabinet for a Tone King Metropolitan. I have a few speakers to try in it but was wondering if anyone else was using an extension cabinet and if they are what kind of speaker.

The cabinet has a Weber Chicago in it right now and I'm not liking it much compared to the combo cabinet. I have a Hellatone 30, Hellatone 60, Eminence Texas Heat, Eminence Red Fang and JBL E120 I can try in it.

I talked to Mark Bartel today and he said his speakers are made by Eminence but they didn't have a stock model that was very close to his specs and he didn't expect that one of his speakers would sound the samein another cabinet.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I use a slightly smaller open back ext cab with a G12H with my Meteor. The combination sounds absolutely great.

3. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Asking Mark to put one of his speakers in someone else's cabinet is like asking him to sell one of his children. I don't know if he has children, but his amps (especially his cabs) are a part of him. Just have him make an extension cab. Don't mess with the zen genius of how things should be... ;)

4. Champlifier

Champlifier Supporting Member

I made a small open back cabinet with a 12" Emi Cannabis Rex and a Weber 10" (I forget which model) speaker.
    I use it with my Meteor II 1X12 when we play outdoor gigs.

5. strat56

I took my amp in and he did some upgrades on it right after Thanksgiving. I asked him if he had any plans to make an extension cabinet for the Metropolitan and he told me no. He said he was spending development time on a Metropolitan head and 2x12 cabinet.

He said he'd sell me one of his speakers but he didn't expect it would sound the same in another cabinet. I'll find something that will work for me.

6. strat56

Thanks, I have a Hellatone 30, which is a G12H30 that Avatar has aged slightly in my Blues Jr. I'll have to put it in the Avatar cabinet and try it this weekend.

7. strat56

I'll keep that combination in mind, I have a 2X10 open back cabinet I could convert to a 10 and a 12.

8. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I just got my Imperial today (sounds great btw). I'm loading a Carr Amps 2x12 w/ Celestion Golds to use with my Hayseed head, but I will definitely give it a go with the Tone King as well.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Try it right in the Blues Jr. I'm guessing the combination will sound very good!

10. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Sorry to hear that. I thought I had heard that he had done one for another series in the past. That's a shame... :cry:

11. strat56

Just in case anyone is interested, I've settled on an Avatar 1X12, wide (G112W), open back with an 8 ohm Eminence Texas Heat. It sounds enough like the combo amp itself to me that I could use it as an extension speaker underneath the combo or on the other side of the stage to balance the stage sound out. There may be something better but out of what I had to work with, this is the best fit for me.