Tone King Imperial live use

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
I am about to use one of these on a gig Friday night with a rock cover band for the first time in a small to medium sized bar. Anyone using one in a similar situation and how does it cut through. I used it on an oldies gig last week with a Strat straight in and it was just okay for me. A little to generic and Hifi sounding for lack of a better description. I tried it out at home with my SG through a pedal board with some OD/Distortion, Delay, Chorus and it seems to pop more and have more character though again that was only in the house.

Guinness Lad

Use the lead side only, it will have plenty of cut. Set the mid bite low and use an overdrive for soloing, or just turn up. The clean side doesn't have enough wattage to do unlimited loud cleans and gets lost a little if you need to really push it.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
I would definitely be using a pedal for solos. The only issue with the lead side is it sounds a little harsh.

Guinness Lad

Turn the mid bite off and tone around 3. If this doesn't work remove any TungSol or EH preamp tubes.

Trending Topics