Tone King Meteor reverb update mod....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by VaughnC, Dec 6, 2003.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I recently received the reverb upgrade mod info from Mark so, if you feel comfy wailing a soldering iron, here's a print of what needs done.

Parts needed:
    One 33K 1 watt resistor
    Two 1.0 megohm 1 watt resistors
    One 220pf capacitor (remove cap C26 entirely if you want a darker sounding reverb)

The final result is a deeper sounding reverb that's less "in the way" so to speak. It's not as lush sounding as say a รท13's tube driven verb, but not too bad for solid state circuit.

2. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Gold Supporting Member

Thanks very much for the info! I look forward to giving this a try. I'm probably going to add a push/pull bright switch while I'm in there. Nothing like making a great amp a little better!

3. VaughnC

Yup, I thought about adding a pull pot bright switch but I prefer the bright cap lifted.....so I figured why bother at this point. Good luck with the verb mod and let us know what you think when you complete it.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

In case you didn't see this when I posted it a couple of months ago, an alternative to a push/pull switch is a chassis-mounted mini-toggle.

Here's a shot of it on my Tone King Continental. You reach around the back to access it. The front of the amp remains stock.

[​IMG]

Here's Mark Bartel drilling the chassis for the switch.

[​IMG]

And a second shot of the drilling.

[​IMG]

5. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I did see that thread - it was interesting to see what you and Mark decided to do.

I'm probably still going to go with the push/pull option, unless I can't find a push/pull pot in the correct value and taper (anyone know off hand what the pot values are in there? I haven't disassembled mine yet). This option still seems the best for me - I still have the option to switch the bright on and off, and no new holes in the chassis.

6. VaughnC

Yes, I completed the mod and I think it is an improvement AND different. Like I said in my original post, to my ear, the reverb now sounds deeper and less in the way. Personally, while I tend not to use reverb much, I do like the modded version better.

As far as the bright/pull-pot is concerned....the last time I spoke with Mark, he was looking for a source for the pot so it might pay to sit tight for a while to see what he comes up with. I probably won't add it to my amp because I prefer the bright cap lifted but, then again, I could try a different value bright cap for a less drastic tone shift.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm using a 33pf cap now with a switch (stock is 64pf/hard-wired).