• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tone King Metropolitan footswitch

greiswig

I'm liking the Metropolitan a lot. I like the reverb a lot, too. So much so, in fact, that it's hard for me to envision a time that I would NOT want it on...unless I was in a room that already had a bunch of reverb. In either case, I don't see much of a need to put it on the footswitch.

On my ODS type amp, I have channel switching on one button, and preamp boost on the other. Mine doesn't just bypass the tone stack; it also has some tone shaping of its own and has a variable volume boost so that I don't rely on a soundman to bring my leads out.

So that pretty much unused switch on the TK footswitch kind of bugs me. NOT that I'd break into the amp and void the warranty by installing a different relay to use with the footswitch, but if it were you...what would you switch instead of reverb? Hypothetically speaking, of course...

remocity

Silver Supporting Member
On that amp.....nothing.
Make up a one button switch that only switches the channels, then you won't have to look at the unused switch that bugs you.

MeMota

The bright switch. I really wish I could have that on the pedal. I dig it, just not all the time.....

Hatim

I would like to use the second switch for a bit more dirt. Switch #1 one for the tweed channel, # 2 for tweed channel with more drive.
I find myself during a gig for different songs, fiddling with the amp.

Hans

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on how you have the amp set up. Currently, I have the rhythm channel set for a great Blackface tone and the Lead channel set for a great Tweed tone. When set up like this I keep the reverb on at all times and never use that footswitch button. However, on the occasions where I don't have a second amp for dirtier stuff and don't want to bother with an OD/Distortion pedal, I set up the Lead channel for a good bit more gain. Like many, I like a "wet" sound (i.e. reverb) with cleaner tones, but a "dry" overdriven/distortion tone (no reverb). In that case, it is handy to have the reverb footswitchable. In fact, when I use it like that, I usually just step on both buttons at the same time and switch channels and reverb simultaneously.

MeMota

Depends on how you have the amp set up. Currently, I have the rhythm channel set for a great Blackface tone and the Lead channel set for a great Tweed tone.
Sorry to derail but how do you have the amp set for these?

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to derail but how do you have the amp set for these?
GAIN SWITCH:
High

RHYTHM CHANNEL:
Volume: <1 (about 0.75)
Bright Switch: On
Treble: 7
Bass: 5

LEAD CHANNEL:
Volume: Slightly >1 (about 1.25)
Tone: 9
Mid Bite: 1

REVERB: 1

OUTPUT POWER:
Rhythm: 10
Lead: 1

greiswig

Good thoughts, all. I actually find the way Mark toned down the reverb for the lead channel to be good enough to get it out of the way.

I almost find that, ideally, it would be great if the second footswitch would simultaneously turn up/down the mid bite, down/up the volume, and down/up the tone a bit. Doing that would let you kind of re-voice the lead channel on the fly.

I don't know how amenable the tone stack would be to a D-style bypass for a preamp boost.

Top Bottom