Tone King Owners - Will I need an Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by judsonabts, Oct 7, 2008.

1. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

I have a Tone King Meteor II coming at the end of the week. I'm don't have any really nice Overdrive pedals and i'm wondering if you think i'll need one. Most of the time I play clean with an occasional Gilmore-ish guitar solo.

I have a ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1 and a Analog Man Compressor I can use to push the amp a bit but most of the time I want my distorted tones about the same volume as clean.

If I should get an overdrive, any recommendations?>

thanks

2. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Supporting Member

IMHO, the tweed side will not need any kind of pedal- best used raw. The BF ("Rhythm") side responds extremely well to all sorts of pedals. My choices are Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and a Fulltone OCD, which I use for different types of sounds. The Meteor II is the most 3-D sounding amp I've ever used, and it continues to be my #1. Have fun- you will love it!

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

First of all, congrats on the Meteor. I have a 4x6V6 1x12 and it is my favorite amp ever in my pop-blues-rock band.

The lead channel is cool......but very loud when it's in the sweet spot......it relies on power tube saturation, not preamp saturation, for overdriven sounds. Big volume difference compared to the clean channel. I use an OD pedal, a Fulldrive2 from 2001, and I think it sounds great with the clean channel. I'm also using a s/s/h Suhr Standard with maple/basswood body. I've been through several guitars and OD pedals with the Meteor, and none have sounded as good to my ear as the Suhr + Fulldrive.

4. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

well i just bit the bullet and overpaid for a Timmy pedal.

I'm going to start there... my hope is that will be all i need!

i'm still open to other OD suggestions though

5. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

you will need an overdrive. check out the barber direct drive and the burn unit eq. both will get you in the ballpark.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I think the TIM pedal has more voicing options than the Fulldrive, but for whatever reason, I found the Fulldrive easier to dail in. The TIM is a fine pedal, though, no doubt about it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  7. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

so how about a Mini Bi-Comp -- > ZVex Super Duper -- > Timmy Pedal

?

I typically leave my compressor on all the time as well as the zvex super duper...

maybe that should change haha, but it seams that might get me somewhere... maybe i just need more of a fulldrive / distortion pedal to cover everything...

i was under the impression the Timmy would give me distortion if i dialed it in...

8. skoora

skoora Member

Those Meteors really scream when they're turned up. I actually would just use an attenuator and use vol roll off on the guitar.

9. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

i was hoping that at 20 watts i could have it cranked at low volumes... whoops

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love the Lovepedal Eternity in my Comet 40B

11. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

yeah i'm a bit worried i wont have quite enough distortion to meet what i'm looking for.. but i'm trying to keep things fairly low gain since i play in an alt country band and if given too much distortion i throw everyone off haha

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

A Tim + Meteor is a special combination for mid gain tones. I think you will really enjoy it.

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

FD2, Jetter, Barber LTD or Burn Unit.
    Or if you played humbuckers, you probably wouldnt need any pedals.

Enjoy that fine amp,

S.
    j

14. george4908

george4908 Member

>>you will need an overdrive. check out the barber direct drive and the burn unit eq.

This is good advice. I have a Tone King Continental, and typically run either a Direct Drive or a Burn Unit into a Fulltone Fatboost, then into the amp. Can get a huge variety of sounds this way, from mild to aggressive, with a lead boost at any time, and I can get it all at very low volumes if need be. Tone Kings take to pedals very well, and Barbers are great pedals.

15. noyank11

noyank11 Supporting Member

I have a Meteor 40A,really nice cleans,I use a Blackstone Appliances mosfet 2 channel OD pedal that does a fine job -