Tone Man Guitar Wiring Kits - Any Opinions?

So I'm planning on a putting a 50's wiring kit into a Les Paul Studio I have. I came across this seller, who has what seems like great prices. Anybody buy from him before, or have you hear much about him?

If you have alternatives or thoughts let me know. I don't mind spending a little, I just don't want to go nuts.

Thanks!

cap10kirk

The harness in my Epiphone is from Tone Man. I got the full size 500k pots (mine are Bourns low friction), and orange drops. I've had it in my guitar for almost 3 years now, still as happy as I was when I first put it in. A couple of my friends have bought harnesses from him as well, no complaints from any of us. Good quality, decent prices, and quick shipping. I've got a harness from him for my Junior build as well, just haven't built the guitar to put it in yet.

Oldman

yep, got a 50's wiring kit for my LP from him, quality parts and quick shipping. great guy.

fitz

Never bought from them, but the price is pretty good for a prewired kit. Good quality components too.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
yep, got a 50's wiring kit for my LP from him, quality parts and quick shipping. great guy.
Good to know. I was just looking at an LP kit from him. Any opinions on his Bourns pots vs CTS?

kherman

Installed the toneman kit with the green russian caps in my Diodati 58 (red plaintop) along with Kiesel Lithium pickups.
Works and sounds great. No complaints. The guitar now has a nice clarity with good bottom end to its tone. The controls are now very usable.
You now have good range in the volume and tone pots to dial in many different tones.
I had previously tried the guitarfetish harness and their phat cat and crunchy pat pickups. Terrible, just terrible. Just a bright, harsh, nasty sounding mess.
The Toneman and Lithiums were a huge improvement.

7DpcCjH.jpg

Last edited:

wscottarmstrong

Silver Supporting Member
No complaints here. Put one of his kits into my 335 when I upgraded the pickups, and have been very happy.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Cool, I just ordered an LP kit. He replied to questions I messaged him almost immediately.

icr

So one needs a "Wiring Kit" to lift the capacitor over one lug these days?

Seth L

I replaced the board in my SG Faded with one of his kits. Good stuff, good price.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I understand the ease of installing a pre-wired harness, but for me buying the component parts and installing them myself has worked out better. Get some cloth pushback wire, RS pots for the volumes, CTS 500K pots for the tones and good caps and you can probably come out about the same, give or take.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I understand the ease of installing a pre-wired harness, but for me buying the component parts and installing them myself has worked out better. Get some cloth pushback wire, RS pots for the volumes, CTS 500K pots for the tones and good caps and you can probably come out about the same, give or take.
I added up the cost of the good quality parts and do come out close to the same ordering the Toneman kit, so I just bought the kit. I am perfectly capable of cutting and soldering short lengths of wire, but this saves my sourcing the individual parts and dealing with separate shipping costs (his kits ship free).

Joe Cool

My 2-cents.... I just bought a 50 Wiring Harness from Gary at Toneman, I don't have the harness yet, but I am sure the quality is great from what I have seen and heard. Gary has excellent customer service in that I have changed my order around, asked 20 questions, and he has always responded with solid answers. He is great to work with, I thought he would get upset at some point with all my questions, but he handled my question with professionalism!! AAA+++ Shop!!

JLR

I've bought 4 harnesses from Gary. He is a stand up guy when it comes to service. One of my guitars was a 2 humbucker tele of which he did not have a harness designed out on his site. He asked me for measurements and a few pics and 1.5 weeks later it was in my guitar. The taper and smoothness on the Bourne pots imo are better than CTS pots.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom