1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tone: Marshall 4010 and Dr Z MAZ 18?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SlyStrat, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I have an '83 Marshall JCM 800 50w 1x12 4010.
    I'm thinking of buying a Dr Z MAZ 18 combo.
    Can anyone tell me the tone difference?

2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Hmm, kind of apples and oranges. It's really hard to characterize "Z" tones, but the MAZ 18 Jr. Reverb 2x10" combo I had brought brown face Fender to mind. Or, maybe 1/3 Fender, 1/3 Marshall, and 1/3 Vox. Great amp with great tone. Wish I had mine back. Friendly to about any guitar or pedal you could put in front of it. Very versatile amp, extremely well built, and a great value to boot. There was nothing there to not like when I had mine. It's not likely to sound much like your Marshall. But it will have superb tone. Obviously I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Tom

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

For tone I like Jimmy Page live, old ZZ Top, Allman Brothers, vintage Cream, and lots of blues. I play Gibson Les Pauls.
    I kinda like the idea its parts of each amp rolled into one.

4. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Speaking of the different amps rolled into one, at Z's part of the Dr. Z discussion board he talks about the different aspects of the Maz circuit, describing the marshall aspects of the first gain stage, the fender-style tone stack, and the vox elements of the power section.

5. Mayfield

Mayfield Silver Supporting Member

I have a 4010 and love it....and I have tried the Dr Z on a few occassions and althought this may not help you...they are similar but different. : )

Dr Z has similarities in that it is voiced in a similar fashion....but with the addition of a reverb which the Marshall does not have. And I have noticed that my Marshall has a darker, slightly warmer sound to it. I get more "boom" from my Marshall that I got from the Z when I tried it.

Again, very subjective and not a lot of help. You will get some different tones from the Z (when I played through a Strat, I get more chime from the Z versus the Marshall) Almost more of a Vox tone.

Have you had the chance to try one out for a while? One of the shops I go to let's me bring in my Marshall and set up an A/B in the shop, which was a big help.

6. impactblue

impactblue Member

Mike do you have a link to this discussion or happen to know what it's titled?

7. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

8. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Ive owned both of these, and I cant think of any similarities between them.

9. impactblue

impactblue Member

That is some sick stuff...
    So the Maz 18 uses a Fender tone stack...meaning I can use the Duncan tonestack calc to help in EQing in my Maz!