tone of orange drops?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bmf5150, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

are orange drops very transparent like a high fi capacitor,or are they a coloring capacitor voiced on the bright side?

2. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

"orange drops" are NOT just one flavor of cap.
    They are many caps covered in an orange epoxy
    coating.

Therefore, you must try them all to find what works
    for you.

Sorry folks, there ain't no short cut in this.
    You are going to have to suck it up and try
    and buy!

So find one amp as a test bed,
    but ALL brands and types.

TEST them all,
    take notes...

Use what works BEST for YOU!

3. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

i tried them along time ago and found them to be bright.i was just curious what others thought about them.if they considered them to be a transparent high fi type sound or just colored on the bright side.just want some opinions..

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

bmf, I use them all the time with great results in my amps. I even have them in my test bed LP for my DarkBurst pups. The electrical value sets the amount of capacitance, so if you thought they were thin and bright, it's likely the one you used was the wrong value or something else in the circuit was causing the "thin and bright" tone, or perhaps it was bad. They are the cap that superceded the "Sprague" caps of yore, IIRC.

5. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

scumbag,
    what series of the orange drops do you prefer!!

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Type 715P Orange Drop Capacitors or...
    Type 716P Orange Drop Capacitors (These are a high performance copper lead version of the popular 715P series)

I have a .010 cap in my neck pickup, and a .033 in my bridge pup for use with my test bed LP loaded with Wagner DarkBursts...

Various values are used in the construction of the amp. My amp designer/guru knows way more about them than I do.

7. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I hate the bottom end on the 715Ps. For most my applications I like the Mallory 150s. Sozos smoke in my 18 Watt combo.

8. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

sozo are my favorite thus far.i was just curious if the orange drops would be considered hi fi type cap?.what dont you like about the bottom end of the orange drops?
    stan

9. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Lack of definition and flubby. IMO

10. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

i hate mallory,there to dark and muddy to my ears. i love the sozo,there warm yet retain clarity and are not to warm..

11. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I dig how everyone's ears/preferences are different. :)

I think the Mallory's 150s have the best definition in the bottom end and add that spongy 3d quality most fender clones are missing in comparison to vintage ones.

But then the Sozos absolutely smoked the 150s in my 18 Watt. :)

Without trying the Sozos in my fender clones, the change in my 18 watt makes believe they won't work that well in my BF fender clones. But might be alright in my Tweeds. I might try them someday.

Jeff

12. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

If you can find them, the definition of the John E. FAST cap
    is amazing. Every amp I put these into the artists
    just rave about them!

I am really amazed too at how good they sound.
    Liquid, detailed, harmonically rich and NOT harsh.

I went through 100s of different type caps
    when i found these. I bought the last remaining NOS
    stocks that I could find.

Put one of these to couple the first stage, you too
    will be amazed.....they are just that good.

13. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Here is my humble opinion:

Orange Drops - Very clear and clean. More high end. I use these when I'm designing an amp that leans toward a clean chime sound.

Mallory 150's - These are slightly darker and overall my favorite. They tend to roll off a bit of the highs and in my opinion this works well for an amp that is meant to be overdriven a lot as this natural reduction in high frequency will make for a smoother and thicker sound.

Your mileage may vary.

14. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

thanks guys!its good to get others opinions!

15. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

Would someone tell me where to buy Sozos capacitors?

16. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

Thank you, BMF5150! I'll have to check them out.

17. Swarty

Swarty Member

Call me the oddball, but for an overdriven sound, the Xicon green chicklets reign supreme in my book. I've tried all the aforementioned caps except the Sozo (but have loads of experience w/ mustard) and for warmth and harmonic richness/complexity these things are it. Not the best choice for HiFi or bass applications, but if you've not tried these in your hotrods, you may be missing out.

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

That's alright Tim, up until my local electronics store stopped carrying them I loved NTE mylar caps. Since then I've just been using Weber's polyester tubular and polyprop caps with fine results.

I think people tend to put too much emphasis on cap brand. But what the heck, with people getting excited about speaker cables I guess this is just par for the course.

19. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Ken Fischer of Trainwreck fame had this to say about caps.
    This is in reference to guitar pickups, were it probably matters
    more than in an amp, let's have a read:

First capacitors come in multitude of types, values, and voltages. The Sprague Black Beauty, also known as "bumble bee caps", are really great. Of course they don't make them any more.
    I have heard that Gibson has had these caps made again for the 2003 Gibson Historics, but are not being as an aftermarket item. If you have a 50's Gibson, the .02 (really .022) Black Beauty was used. I used an old Fender value, Black Beauty in my Tele. It is a .047, (Fender calls for .05, which is for our purpose, the same thing). These caps were nicknamed Bumble Bee because they had color code bands around a black body. They look sort of like a giant Bumble bee.

Let's get to the important points of choosing a modern cap. First you want the correct value. Of course, feel free to try other values than traditional ones, if you are after something different. Most humbuckers use .022 (.020), and most single coils .05 (.047). You want separate film foil, not metallized types. Mylar and polyester film works better then polypropylene film.
    Since pickups put out very low voltage, the voltage rating should not matter, but it does seem to have an affect. Traditional voltage values are commonly, but not always, 200 or 400 volt ratings.
    The Black Beauty caps used in old guitars were typically the 400 volt type. Another interesting point is that, if you reverse the cap end to end, it will sound different in use. I jump mine in with test clips, run the tone control through its range, and use directions my ear choose. Also, if you have many of the same type, try a bunch of them. They will vary slightly from cap to cap. It's worth the time to choose one you really like with your gear.