tone pot value question on les paul's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by chief ten beers, Feb 4, 2006.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers Member

I recently picked up a 95 lp standard and it's totally stock.Was wondering what the tone pot value on stock lp's were at that time,was it 250 or 500?thanks

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

They ought to be 500K tone pots. It is the volume pots that are probably 300K.

3. jdjonsson

jdjonsson Guest

I had to call Gibson last week. At least on my LP Studio, the value is 300K linear for volume, and 500K Audio for tone.

4. chief ten beers

chief ten beers Member

would it effect the tonal quility by increasing the volume pot to 500k?

5. jdjonsson

jdjonsson Guest

Well, i dunno about tonal quality, but it would cut the output of your pickups by a bit. You might get 3/4 of a turn on the pot before you'd get no sound...

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but in any case increasing the pot value results in a very slight increase in output and, more importantly, a brighter tone. The higher the value of the pots, the higher the of the resonant peak of the pickups. See this thread for more details: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=118336

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

Clorenzo's exactly right. If you feel that you could use a little more "edge" or if the current output from the pickup is a little too squashed sounding, raising the value of the volume pot could help. Conversely, if the output from the pickup is too strident or peaky, then lowering the value could help.

chief ten beers - Do you have any specific complaints or issues with the guitar's tone as it stands right now?

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It may increase the output and high end a tad. But that's not a bad thing in my book.

9. ES350

ES350 Member

The 300K thing was Gibson's way of getting a fatter sound (they finally figured out that rock players were buying their guitars) out of the stock HB's in the early 70's---almost without exception, P90 and HB equipped guitars sound way better with 500k components ala the original design.