Tone pot woes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lorienblack, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Lorienblack

Lorienblack Member

I have a Godin LGX signature, playing it with a new Vox Night Train 15.

Because the Vox is a little too glassy in the treble for my liking I was trying to knock it back with the tone pot on the guitar. It was going from very muted to overly bright, by the time I got to 1/2. By the time it's at 3 it's like an ice pick.

Figured it might be the pot, so swapped it out for a new one. 500K linear, same for same.

Exactly the same problem persists :( almost no change in treble quality belond 1/2, way to bright.

Sound familiar? Any ideas? Try a 250K pot? New value cap?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The issue within the guitaris not likely they one pot, but actually the capacitor. Lower values = less mud. A lower value pot will still have some effect to tame glassy-ness.
    Also a just the treble side of the pickups down a little might help.
    The stock tubes in the Night Train are ripe for upgrades. Simply springing for some current model Tung Sol or JJ tubes really goes a long way.

3. Lorienblack

Lorienblack Member

Thanks for reply.

I've got JJ tubes in, certainly better than stock.

I just can get a decent tone out of this amp, that doesn't leave my ears hurting after about two mins playing. It's all hard and cold, tone stack on the amp itself is pretty feeble as well, compared to my (former) hot rod Deville.

I bought it for home practice, and because so many people seem to love it. I'm a long way from feeling the love so far.

4. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Given how the taper is behaving, you need to use an audio taper pot, not linear.

5. Lorienblack

Lorienblack Member

I'll give it a go, but the pot in the guitar was a linear one, pretty sure. And are audio taper pots volume pots, log scaled?

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried the "Thick" setting on the amp and turning the guitar volume down for clean-ish tones? It isn't really clean, but much fuller. I have a v1 Night Train 15 and used the Thick setting (EQ bypass) most of the time.

7. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I was guessing audio pot as well.. the taper is the issue correct? I forget the definitions but the taper changes audio vs linear.. audio more gradual maybe..

8. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Agree that the cap value will help, but I used to have that problem with an AC15C1. It had a "bright" cap that I removed, made a world of difference. Maybe there is a similar mod for that amp?

9. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Try the audio taper pot, perhaps up the cap to .047uF (assuming it's a .022uF) to get a little more mid cut in the tone. Check the amp, too. A bright cap on the gain control may be a cuprit.