• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tone Press users

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I'm wondering how many of you Barber Tone Press users have experimented with changing the internal "colour" trim pot in your compressor. While I was satisfied with the Tone Press using it with it's factory settings I recently did a little expermentation and found that I much preferred the tone with the trim pot turned almost all the way in the opposite direction (counter clockwise, I believe). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Flyin' Brian

I tweaked mine a bit ccw from the factory setting because it was giving me a bit of extra brightness that I didn't want with the factory setting.

Gary Brennan

Old cavorting member
Platinum Supporting Member
I went the other way with mine, as it seems to take a bit of the top clarity away from my tele, still does, but the parallel architecture makes it worth it. Tho I wonder about the Wampler....

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting > The Tone Press didn't work out for me ...
What does it do exactly with the trim turned all the way in the opposite directon?

Gary Brennan

Old cavorting member
Platinum Supporting Member
Interesting > The Tone Press didn't work out for me ...
What does it do exactly with the trim turned all the way in the opposite directon?

Hi Joe, don't know which you meant by opposite, but in my TP the CC direction (more Vintage in the manual) seemed warmer softer on top, and clockwise seemem more hifi and crisp, generally less of an impact on the tone going in. I went clockwise.

gb

kstrat62

Silver Supporting Member
I just put mine back on my board yesterday after turning it CC about a 1/4 of the way back. It sounds a lot warmer to me now.

karlo

i have my trim open all that way. i use it mostly with acoustics & mandolin, and prefer it not rolling anything off the top. if it's giving a light boost with an electric and i need it darker, i'll roll back the tone from a drive pedal, rather than opening up the Tone Press all the time.

goodhonk

it's a great pedal, and can adapt to your set up with the internal trim pot. i liked mine just a touch darker with my strat and drri.

89strat

Anybody run a tone press after your drives for a solo boost? I'm currently running a micro amp after my RAT and thinking of trying the Tone Press instead. We do a couple of police tunes and some U2 stuff and thinking that a tone press might work well for the clean stuff and with the volume set above unity, provide a lead solo boost after the rat when needed. What do you think?

Last edited:

Trending Topics