Tone Pros bridge: Can you hear a difference?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stratzrus, Jun 20, 2006.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm considering installing a Tone Pros bridge and stop tailpiece on my ES-335 and LP Classic. Has anyone had experience with this upgrade? Can you hear a difference?

stratzrus

2. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

On some guitars there is a noticable difference, on others there is not. I personally have had guitars that when just tuning up the first time after installing TonePros I heard a difference and on others I still haven't heard any difference at all.
    Stability is another factor to take into account.

BTW As of 2006 Gibson is now installing TonePros on Custom Shop guitars!

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The difference I noticed was that the sustain seemed longer, since there wasn't any play in the bridge. I put one on my 61 SG/LP Std...and, uh...gee, I believe I bought it from Mr. Chet Feathers!

Small world!

I'm also putting one on my 63 SG/LP Std, which is getting the Cream/Fool SG paintjob...not to mention the locking studs as well.

Thanks again, Chet!

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I haven't heard any difference, but I sure dig having everything stay in place when making string changes.

5. bailnout

bailnout Member

Pretty long thread on this already:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=134610

I sure don't want to go through my lengthly explaination again. Long story short...I like 'em. Even if they don't do anything to my sound (which usually they improve it) they almost always subtly improve the feel of the guitar and it makes string changes easier.

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

I actually modified a stock Gotoh bridge into a Tonepros one, DIY style of course. The original problem with the bridge was that it had too big post holes. The bridge could move significantly on the posts - this of course meant that the guitar went out of tune easily. Because I'm a cheap bastard and wanted to experiment, I decided to do the Tonepros mod on the bridge.

So I drilled two holes, made threads on them and installed grub screws (the kind used for height adjustment on Fender bridges). Took me about 15 minutes in total and cost about 2-3€ in tools and materials. Did the same thing to the tailpiece too.

The end result? Bridge stays in place very nicely, tuning and intonation stability improved a lot. However, the tone and sustain was exactly the same as it was before the mod. No changes there. So from this I draw the conclusion that the Tonepros stuff does not influence tone or sustain - if you hear a difference it's because of the material the bridge is made of, not because of the locking aspect. If the bridge I had wasn't made poorly the intonation and tuning stability would've been the same too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

I installed one on my firebird..Didnt notice a cotton pickin difference

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The TonePros stuff is pure common sense upgrades. Simply locks your bridge hardware down to the guitar - no more slop, no more bridge falling off the guitar when you take off the strings. Your strings should be vibrating with music, not used to hold your bridge on.

9. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I made my own tone-pros bridge and tailpieces. Not much of a change in tone but they do keep everything rock solid. I was reading up in Vintage Guitar a while back ago that you can improve this even more by installing set screws inside the post holes so your bridge and tailpiece studs bottom out and transfer energy better. I haven't done this yet but it looks pretty easy.

10. stratzrus

The posts and the link to the old thread were helpful. It sounds like one may or may not hear a difference, but locking the bridge makes sense to preserve a stellar setup.

I've been thinking about sending a couple of my guitars to Norio in NYC for setups and it may make sense to install the Tone Pros to preserve his work.

Thanks, stratzrus

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

Well, that depends. Do you live in the NYC area as well? If you don't and by "sending" them you mean you are shipping them to him, then his setup will go down the drain in shipping it back to you anyway.

You probably already know this but I just thought it should be said.

12. stratzrus

Of course you're right. I actually ment taking it to Norio, not "sending".

I go to NYC a lot and planned to pick up the instruments in person whether or not I ship them to him. I really don't like shipping guitars if it can be avoided, and since I'd do two at once I wouldn't save much shipping them since I live relatively nearby.

But since you've raised the subject, even though I know that it happens: Why is it that the setup gets knocked out during shipping? Shouldn't it be possible to double box the guitar well enough to avoid trauma?

stratzrus

13. bailnout

bailnout Member

Yea, you can package it well enough to keep it from getting "knocked out" but it's a difference in climate that would affect it the most. But it sounds like you are all good.