Tone pros bridge ????? Have you used one?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bluesman 59901, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Bluesman 59901

Bluesman 59901 Member

Hey Folks,
    I am wondering what you thought of the tone pros bridge and tail piece?
    I have an Orville les Paul and while the bridge does what I need , I am wondering if I am leaving some tone and sustain on the table by not switching out...
    Is it worth doing ?
    tell what you have done and how you liked it..
    Tnx

2. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

I actually prefer the Gotoh bridge to the TonePros. It rattles less and I don't need to worry about the retainer clips popping out. The TonePros locking tailpiece rocks though...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. epluribus

epluribus Member

I too thought TonePros offered special metals. Very likely the same metals as your Orville...zinc alloy, though possible it's the Asian variant as opposed to the Western one. If you want steel you're talking Callaham. There's also high grade aluminum, also pricier than the Orville most likely. Non-cast TOMs are very expensive to make, well beyond TonePros prices.

However, a Callaham is indeed a very different ballgame...

--Ray

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the tonepros is actually quite good (some of them are by gotoh). they incorporate nylon bushings to make the saddles fit tighter along with the locking set screws. i've never seen one that rattles (and i've installed lots of them) and they do indeed bring some added sustain to the table.

i like the callaham best (being the only one you can get that's made of actual steel), but it incorporates the tonepros-style improvements as well.

5. walterw

while you're at it, tonepros locking studs for the stock tailpiece are another real improvement. they're way stronger of a lock than the actual locking tailpiece.

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

It depends on what bridge they start with. You can put set screws on a **** bridge & call it tone pro's. That's all it is, 2 set screws. The locking studs are a must on any stop tail.

7. walterw

well, the tonepros AVR (their ABR-1) has other improvements, like i said; little nylon bushings in the saddle screws that keep them tight and secure, and real brass saddles.

8. epluribus

epluribus Member

For the record, my TonePros and my Callaham TOM's get swapped into the hotrod FrankenBerger at every string change more or less. Different bridges, but really nice each. I reserve the right to refuse to be decisive...

--Ray