Tone pros Kluson reissue tuners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rockinrob86, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

My main squeeze is a 1999 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. It has the push in bushing tuners on it. The problem is that the high e string tuner is very loose feeling. there is alot of play in the metal part that attaches to the key, and the key itself has developed a crack that has been getting worse over the last month or so, I think it will fall off sooner rather than later. Some of the other keys are feeling loose as well, so I think it is time for a change. Due to my guitar being quite naturally reliced, I would like to get some tuners that are aged so they dont look out of place. I saw at RS guitarworks that they offer a tonepros style aged kluson set, but they say it will require a slight modification. Does this mean I will need to enlarge the holes to the grover size holes, or is it just something little that I could sand out?

I like that they use a 16:1 ratio rather than the usual 12:1, but I would rather have it be a drop in replacement, or require just a little sanding.

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Rob...Check over on the Les Paul Forum. I think I remember seeing some info about these tonepro tuners.
    IIRC you have to open up the bushing slightly for them to work but the tuner's footprint and screws line up. So in that sense they are a direct replacement.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's not completely clear from the Tone Pros site. I could email them and ask.

tonepros@aol.com

4. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I sent them an email, but got a mailbox full message sent back, so I guess it is back to the gear page for this one.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

you have to enlarge the holes with a reamer to get the bushings to fit.