Tone Question

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by woodsideh, Feb 29, 2008.

1. woodsideh

woodsideh Member

Can anyone tell me how to get the sound that Dave Schools (WSP) gets. I like the fat, clean with just a touch of rumble sound. I have an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, a GK 700 RB and an SWR WP 400 with various SWR and Ampeg cabs. Any thoughts?

2. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

Forgive my ignorance, I don't know who Dave Schools is so I can't really tell you how to get his tone as I don't know it. I don't guess I need to tell you there are a whole lot of variables in tone. To start with, the bass. Then how it interacts with the head and cab or cabs. 4 string, 5 string, 6 string, active, passive. Fingertsyle player or pick? For the fat sound I'd say fingerstyle because obviously a pick will give you a sharp attack.

I don't know man, probably need a little more info to help you out.

3. woodsideh

woodsideh Member

Thanks 2 Loud 4 You for responding. Dave Schools is the bassist for Widespread Panic. I am a finger plucker. I normally play a 4 string Jazz through the SVT head with an SVT 610 cab. As a secondary I will use the GK 700 RB through an SWR 8x8. My main focus is blues.

4. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

Ahh, ok, not really a Widespread fan so that explains why I didn't recognize the name.

So the question now is, how close are you to the tone you're looking for? I don't really think a Henry is going to give you that low end bloom that it sounds like you're looking for. I feel like the 6/10 is your better bet. I was playing on 1 earlier this week and basically got the tone you were looking for. That being said, it was at GC and I didn't set up the amp (Ampeg) but I was playing an 18V active 6 string bass (Ibanez BTB 1006). I also get that tone with my current rig. Roscoe LG 3006 - Genz Benz GBE 1200 - Ampeg PR410HLF. If I dig in it will grind but played at a lower volume with a more subdued touch I get a very smooth sound. Ironically I play in a heavy band but prefer a clean tone more associated with jazz styles.

Personally I think you should be able to get in the ballpark with your rig as you've got nice gear. It's just gonna be sitting down and messing with the eq. Try some really off the wall settings as well, you never know. I will say I'm not a Jazz bass guy, I like a more modern sounding bass, hence my choices. Just don't try to get his album tone, it won't happen, TOO many variables and you'll just be frustrated.

5. woodsideh

woodsideh Member

I appreciate you comments. I'm not much of a Panic fan myself, just like the bass sound. I have recently been spending more time with my active basses. I have a Carvin Icon 5 (sounds ok) but am really starting to like a Schecter Elite 4 that I bought. Frankly, I was real surprised at the sound and playability of the Schecter (oddly enough I kept moving it out of the way at GC to try other basses). I agree with you about the Henry. I think that most of my problem is not spending enough time with the settings on the SVT 4. There are so many possibilities it gets mind boggling. Thanks again.

6. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

I hear ya, there's a lot my Genz Benz can do as well and I only scratch the surface in my current situation.

Obviously the best bet to dial in YOUR tone vs. copping someone elses.

7. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

doesn't he use a Modulus 6 string? I always heard a lot of his sound coming from that.....graphite...

8. Piper

Piper Member

Dave uses Modulus Q6 basses primarily with bartolini pickups and a crown/demeter setup I believe. He also uses a pick quite a bit. He gets a darker tone with a little more growl than my fave Mike Gordon who uses a Q5 with EMGs and an Eden setup the last I checked.