Tone Report - Komet Concorde

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mlongano, Jul 21, 2006.

1. mlongano

mlongano Member

Okay guys. I finally got to spend a few hours with the Concorde. Below is the long winded review of the Komet Concorde in no particular order…

Touch Sensitivity – The Concorde is a very touch sensitive amp particularly in the “Fast Mode”. In gradual mode, it is still touch sensitive, but much less noticeable.

Fast Mode – Very punchy, in your face sounds, great for overdriven and distorted sounds.

Gradual Mode – Not nearly as punchy as fast mode, yet still a touch sensitive experience. I prefer this mode for clean sounds. This mode is a bit more forgiving than the fast mode.

Clean – Cleans are very good, about equal to the Komet 60, but will break up sooner, consequently less clean headroom. The amp still has a significant amount of clean headroom, just not as much as the Komet 60, but plenty enough for gig volumes.

Overdrive – This is where the Komet Concorde really rings my bells. Because it tends to break up earlier than the Komet 60, it can be played with relatively high gain at more reasonable volume levels. I’m not talking bedroom volume here, of course, but noticeably less volume than the Komet 60, given the same degree of gain.

By the time the Concorde is on about nine o’clock you are getting breakup especially in the fast mode and an aggressive pick attack. By eleven o’clock, you are hearing nice heavy crunch, but even at this level, the amp is very touch sensitive, and if you strum lightly, the tone is almost clean. By 12 o’clock noon, you are in smooth liquid gain territory. Increasing the volume pot beyond this level continues to pour on the gain with little change in overall volume.

By rolling back on the volume knob, the Concorde cleans up immediately, with little loss of overall volume. (I am using stock pots in the Les Paul Historics, so those of you with more sophisticated audio tapers in your volume and tone pots may realize a greater loss in volume).

The Concorde took my ODC pedal with no problem yielding a great crunch to overdrive tone at bedroom levels. I also used a delay, a chorus, a compressor, a reverb, and a wah, and the Concorde handled all of them beautifully.

Germino 4x12 Versus THD 2x12 – I noticed a big change here, the Germino 4x12 with G12H30 Celestions handling an enormous amount of bass from the Concorde, yet still remain very tight. The THD sounded a bit darker than the Germino with its Longhorn anVintage speakers, but still remained tight after turning down the bass a bit.

The Concorde has a bit tighter bass than the Komet 60 in my opinion (not that the Komet 60 had flubby bass). They are both tight, but the Concorde is a bit tighter.

I’ve saved my favorite part for the last. The overdriven tone of the Concorde is pure tone heaven as is the Komet 60. These two amps both possess the absolute best overdriven tone I’ve ever played, and I believe, the best I’ve ever heard in person.

If you get a chance to get your hands on a Concorde, grab it. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

2. Ironman

Ironman Member

Thanks for the report! I just checked out the clips on the Komet site, WOW!!! She sounds meatier/thicker than the 60, I just love that midrange growl on her! She's going to haunt me for sure.

3. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

all this talk about the concorde is making me depressed. i am broke

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hey, thanx for posting this in such a large font.
    despite my having to wear reading glasses for up close type stuff, i could take them off in this case.
    it would have made me feel twenty years younger, but it was a late nite...

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

wow, that was quick. what did U spend Ur money on in the interim?

6. mlongano

mlongano Member

That's a very fair question...my favorite tone of overdrive is Van Halen 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. The gain is enough to be very fluid, yet retain string separation, without any muddiness.

The only way I can describe that gain tone, is that it seems to me that the chords and double stops are ripping apart from eachother. If that does not make sense to you, go listen to the title track of 5150. That is my favorite sound for an overdriven guitar.

7. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

thanks..posted before I knew there were clips avail, so had no sonic reverence for you statements..
    amp sounds warm, nice....
    I think around here, what your describing is 'swoosh' if memory swerves..?:)

8. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

Mlongano Right on, and I'd like to ad as Ironman mentioed, that this amp has more bass (vs K60), still tight and the treble is nice and thick. I really like the versatility that the fast/gradual also as Mlongano stated. A great amp, thanks to KF, Hogy and Mike.

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

so if you could only keep one which would it be? k60 or concorde?

10. mlongano

mlongano Member

I've been dreading when someone would ask this question!!

I guess I'd choose the Concorde since its earlier breakup is a better fit for someone who only plays at home...

...that being said, you'd have to pry the Komet 60 from my cold dead hands!!

Although these two Komets sound different, both of them have an overdiriven tone that is the best I've ever played, or heard in person.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

sorry..i had to ask.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

I understand that the K60 and K Concorde complement each other well - one for leads and the other for the rest. Get two of each to be sure.......

Best, Pete.