Tone Reports from new Star Gain Star 30 head + 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NatDeroxL7, Mar 27, 2008.

1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Coming soon!

[look at 3rd post]

2. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Supporting Member

Cool. Let us know what you think. My Gain Star is my main amp. Enjoy!

3. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Well the clean channel is about perfect. Whatever ones favorite adjectives are:

Chimey
    Swirly
    Vibrant
    Thick
    Bouncy

It is all of that.....and more. Doesn't need any reverb or effects....it is just so full and open on its own.

The gain channel I though was hard to dial in. Generally it was best with the gain past 1 oclock, and the master above 10-11. At which point it was very loud....very very loud. I couldn't really play it much at that level since the room was so small. It too was very thick, and great for rock sounds. Muted sounds weren't super-tight, but weren't to bad. Definitely not a metal amp. I did find the higher the master, the tighter it got, so I think that wide open, it would sound amazing for just about anything. I'll have to bring out the earplugs next time lol.

Still working on figuring out how to work the Trim and Brilliance knobs to really get what I want.

The Clean channel is surprisingly bright, and the Gain channel is very dark by contrast. It almost made it hard to get it to work well with both without adjusting the brilliance knob....but I'm sure I will eventually figure out how to do it with the others.

I think it could A/B pretty well with my BadCat A/B 50....but I think it would be better complimented by a Marshall style 18-30 watter set for a great crunch sound giving me a virtual -clean-rhythm-lead- 3 channel set-up.

4. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I have started to notice that dropping the treble on the gain channel, and increasing the brilliance, really helps beef up the mids on the gain channel, take away the fizz, and keep the highs

I think it might grow on me yet as a great higher gain amp

5. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Supporting Member

I like to keep the brilliance up around 3:00, the trim down around 10:00 or 11:00, the gain down at about 9:00-10:00, and bass and treble around 10:00-11:00. As for the master, the higher the better, but usually somewhere around 2:00-3:00. It would be nice to have a separate brilliance control for the clean channel. If I want less brilliance for cleans, I turn the brilliance down and the trim up to give the lead channel more edge. I also find that the trim sounds best when set along with the bass and treble. As I turn up the bass and treble, I also turn up the trim. Hope these settings give you some ideas.

6. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Nate- Glad your enjoying the amp!

Try this:

Gain- 4:00 Use your guitar's volume to dial down the gain, not the amp control. This needs to be up to sound great.
    Trim- 12:00 for leads, 4:00 for riffing
    Treble- 1:00
    Bass- 11:00
    Brilliance- 10:30

Clean-
    Treble 9:00 for BF tones, 12:00 for Vox
    Bass- 12:00

Master- 9:00

There is a 5751 in V1, which makes the clean channel better, but reduces the gain in the gain channel. For more gain, throw a 12ax7 back into the V1 slot.

Hit it with a clean boost, it loves a Zendrive.

It is also very sensitive to cabinet changes. That open back sound great for cleans, and mid gain. If you want metal tones, plug it into a closed back cab with some brighter speakers. It worked very well with one I had with a pair of Eminence Red Ryders. With the Zendrive hitting the front end I could play Slayer type tones at bedroom levels no problem.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008