Tone Tubbies-What am I missing? What about mix and match?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paul2uuu, Jan 10, 2006.

1. paul2uuu

paul2uuu Member

I am new to this community but fortunately or unfortunately not new to the quest for tone. I have been working with 2 Tone Tubbies in a 2x12 Tophat open back cab and they sound relatively dark and muffled to me in my home studio. These 2 speakers were relatively early in the production/concept of the hemp cone. Considering what I read about them I purchased a newer edition that was meant to be more bright but there was not a marked difference. For me, this raised several issues; 1. Were these speakers overhyped? 2. Perhaps they cut through the mix better when played out. I have not brought them to local jams yet-comfort level is not there yet. 3.Perhaps they should be matched with a "transparent" speaker. Choices appear to include the Harry Joyce 12" sold by George Scholtz (out of Hollywood, Fl. Brilliant but eccentric Harry Joyce "successor") (very Hi-Fi like qualities, Speaker is built like a tank)...the EV 12L and an Eminence DeltaPro. What do you guys think about these 3 points? Thanks-Paul

2. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I use an early Paper cone TT in a 1x12 amp based on the Matchless Lightning (a Trinity 15). It is a sublime combination. The top end of the TT is tailored to roll off the sizzle on the amp, but there are ample highs remaining and teh tone control is made more useful on the amp.

Some technical points:

1) You MUST break in this speaker. It needs throrough whumping to open up. Like LOUD and LONG playing over many days. Its a bit constricted sounding otherwise. If you have not broken in the speaker (it can take several weeks, really...), then you will not get the secret sauce, boss.

2) The speaker likes plenty of signal strength. My amp is about 15 watts, but when I open it up its plenty loud. That's what makes the speaker sound its best. If you are using it at low volumes only, you will not get the secret sauce, hoss.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

they're just a different flavor than most are used to. i, for one, LOVE the original H1's. terrific w/ my strat and the voxy flavors i work with. and yes, i'll be the first to admit, they're one of the few speakers that liked to really be pushed to get the goods. and there, they stay fat, semi sweet dark like a nice chocolate. course, one speaker isnt gonna please everyone, and the Hemp's are an especially acquired taste.

with that said, the H1E's sound like they'd be more you. more open and airy in the top end, they're almost a world away from the original H1's you have. if you like the chocolately low midrange of the TT's, but want that extra dose of high end, definitely give them a shot.

FYI, the H1E's are a great companion to my Alessandro amps:

[​IMG]

4. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

If them TTs are H1EDDs, you gots to pump some power into them puppies before they really shine. I had a 212 with TT's and they didn't start singing until I hit about 3 o'clock on that Fuchs ODS 50-watter I used to have.:D
    Of course, your ears are bleeding at that point!!

5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I like them. I own both H1 and H1E. I have one cab with two H1Es and one with one H1 and one H1E. They sound great for certain material with certain amps. I don't think they are suited for classic rock from a Marshall. I like them with my CageWreck and with my Boogie MKIIC+.

Dr Ricos technical points were right on the money.

6. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

I will mirror the last few post's, prolly more than ANY other speaker, the TT's require considerable break in before giving up the good's...once your there though....mmmmmmmmmmm. B

7. paul2uuu

paul2uuu Member

Thanks, you guys! You got me interested in flogging these speakers abit more to see they are made of. They have worked well with Harry Joyce's Custom 50w but that amp tends to be rather bright.

8. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I had a Tone Tubby H1E in my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R 1x12 combo and it was an amazing improvement over the stock Bad Cat modified Vintage 30. That amp was very bright and the distortion had some fizz that needed to be dealt with. The TT was the perfect solution. But, my other amps absolutely *hated* the TT. It was totally lifeless with the Maz 18, Fuchs TDS-50, Flexi-50 and Allen Accomplice, even after many hours of high volume break-in over many months of gigging and formal break-in with a tape loop.

So, it's probably a great speaker for chimey, Vox-style amps, but be careful with anything else.

9. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I have 2 Tone Tubby Cabs. One is a 1x12 that I use with a marshall 20 watt lead/bass head and it sounds fantastic with it. But that amp is always on 10. I also have a 2x12 TT cab that has one alnico and one ceramic hemp cones. They call this cab "the bomb". This sounds awesome with my Carr Slant 6V. I think that once you have broken them in and put some power through them, they are great sounding speakers. They are definately the best I have ever used and I have been doing this for over 40 years.

10. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I am not a great fan of the TT alnicos on their own.

But, a big +1 on combining the TT alnico and ceramic speakers in a 212. A superb combination. The brightness and crisp articulation of the ceramic offsets the darker, richer mids and low end of the alnico, so that at all volume ranges you're getting a well-balanced frequency range and an overall rich tone.

Pushed, there's no loud setup I like better. They just sing.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

ill agree with everyone else here.

1. they work with some amps. love them with my bad cat hot cat, not soo much with a few other amps

2. they need to have a good amount of volume going through them.

i have the alnico hempcone h1e and the ceramic hempcone h1e. the alnico is paired with a bad cat speaker in a bad cat 2x12 and the ceramic is in a randall iso-cab that doesnt get used too often. i want to try one of the new celestion golds when they come out. other than that im pretty satisfied with these for now.

12. reaiken

reaiken Member

I don't get them, either. I had the opportunity to try out two of them at my shop in GA a couple years ago and directly compare them to Greenbacks, Blues, etc., and everything sounded better than the TT's. They were very dull and lifeless. Unfortunately, I don't remember which model they were, but there were two different ones, and both were bad sounding.

Randall Aiken

13. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

I'll ditto reailken. not for me either. I now use the 12" Eminence built for Two Rock. The 62 Vibrolux never sounded better.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Is the Emmi. Cannibus Rex pretty much the same as the TT Ceramic?
    Reason I ask is last couple weeks everyone has been raving about the C.Rex - see related threads. And now this thread pops up with all the negative reviews on the TT. I'm confused!

15. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I lifted my TT H1E out of the Hot Cat 30R (which I'm selling) and stuck it in my Allen Accomplice and it sounded great tonight at rehearsal! :jo But, it still doesn't like the Fuchs or Maz 18.

16. stevie2600

stevie2600 Supporting Member

One of the keys to getting a decent tone out of the Tubbies is eq'ing your amp to accomodate the darker texture of the hempcone. I found I had to pump up my presence controls quite a bit further to help the speakers open up with more high end detail and clarity. A lot of people give up on the Tubbies because they figure their old settings are going to work just the same. These speakers just accomodate more bandwidth, and you've got to give it to them to get those golden tones.

17. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i'm actually going to be doing some speaker swapping involving TT's soon. right now i have a TT 2x12 with H1EDDs, a couple TR 1x12s and 2x12s with TR 65s, a TR 2x12 with fane alnicos, and a fargen 1x12 with a Vintage 30.

i had been using my CAA od-50 through a TR 1x12, but then noticed that i really liked it through the TT cab. much more open in the TT and extremely balanced with a full but never-harsh high end. but thats a 1x12 v. 2x12, so i have some TTs on the way to do some swapping around. it might be a while until i have time to do this, but i'll try to remember to post after i've run through the different variations.

johnetone likes this.
  18. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

just curious - do you have any comments about if and/or how they changed as they broke in? i have some H1s on the way - they aren't brand new so i'm hoping they are somewhat broken in. but i'm curious about how significant a change i might hear with use over time, or if it is more subtle than a lot of posts would seem to imply...

19. stevie2600

stevie2600 Supporting Member

And you're certainly within your right to dislike them. I'm just sharing my own personal experience, and trying to provide helpful hints as to how I ultimately made them work for me. It's not excusive or apologetic. Just a matter of fact. A LOT OF PEOPLE give up on them too easily. If that's not you, then so be it.

20. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I think that's pretty obvious to folks who've been around the block a few times, but I do agree it's worth mentioning. IMO, any change of anything in the signal path (from PUPs to cables to tubes to speakers, etc.) will most likely require some change in current amp EQ settings. Heck, changing rooms requires some tweaks in amp EQ!