Tone Tubbies-What am I missing? What about mix and match?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paul2uuu, Jan 10, 2006.

1. MHG

MHG Member

I had the Red Alnico for a few years and really liked it with certain amps. I used it a lot with my Vox style amps. As with any speaker, it all depends on the amp being used........and vice versa.

I've since purchased the TT Purple Haze. It's on another level!!!! Easily one of the best speakers I've ever tried. It has a really nice light feel compared to the Red. None of that thickness or overwhelming low end. It's really balanced, and is clear and chimey with a really nice presence to it. I use it with my Blackface style amps. It'll definitely make you reconsider your perception of hemp cone speakers. A lot of people think all hemp cone speakers are dark, and thick sounding. The Purple Haze blows this stereotype right out of the water!

A lot of people try the Red Alnico and if it doesn't work for them, they say "TT's aren't for me". As with every other speaker company, they make more than one speaker, and no, they don't all sound the same.

Jonathan Byrnside and johnetone like this.
  2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Wow, that's going back a bit in several ways.

FWIW, I was putting comments in this thread for a while: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...dd-ceramic-two-rock-fane-scumback-h75.195754/

I still dig my favorites from that time (TT H1E's, Golds, Scumnico's, Blues). But I've mostly switched over to keys and have gravitated towards speakers with a bit more controlled bass & higher wattage. I like the EV12L's for that, but not the weight. So my current go-to is the Eminence Steel Guitar speaker (or a Telonics speaker, which seems to be essentially the same). Sounds great, super lightweight, rugged.

Jonathan Byrnside and johnetone like this.
  3. johnetone

johnetone Member

Thanks dude! It's always fun resurrecting these old threads to see how far removed we get from a decade+ ago!

I'll go check out that other thread now...

Jonathan Byrnside likes this.