tone tubbies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wsaraceni, Jul 12, 2006.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

I just got my tone tubbies today. I ordered one alnico and one ceramic. both hempcones. I talked to the guys at a broun sound and they said that for a closed back, the ceramic would be better, so i installed that in my randall iso-cab, which is normally only so-so. previously to this i have tried a v30, a greenback, and a bad cat labeled speaker (a modified v30?). out of those i liked the bad cat the best. but at high power into the iso cab, i think the bad cat was a little overworked. the bad cat is loud when the master is at 2o clock and the level is at 1 o clock. (great bedroom volumes).

so this speaker doesnt flub, fart, cry, distort, or anything else bad at those volumes. its super smooth sounding just like i like. i can tell already once this gets broken in it's going to be great. it is a bit louder than the bad cat speaker.

i am going to be selling the bad cat 12" since i like this soo much.

the alnico tone tubby is going to go in 1/2 of the bad cat 2x12 cab i have. I have a feeling i like these so much im going to try to find another bad cat cab and run what tone tubby calls the "bomb" setup, 1 hemp alnico and 1 hemp ceramic. all in all im satisfied even though this is still the honeymoon phase.

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I'm a believer and a user. I have a 2-12" Tone Tubby Cabinet and a fender DRRI loaded with a Tone Tubby.

3. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

I'm looking at gettin a couple of tone tubbies for my THD Univalve.

Any recomendations as to what i should get? alinco or ceramic

4. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

Anyone ever directly compare the Tubby's to the Celestion Heritage G12M's? Not lookin' for a flame fest just an honest comparison!

5. cbnutt

cbnutt Member

me too !! Tim turned me onto them.:D

6. m1911

m1911 Member

Over the past four years, I have changed out every speaker in every Cabinet here with all Alnico Hemp cones in 10" and 12" versions.
    Love em.
    Mark

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

the tone tubby guys said ceramic for closed back and alnico for open back worked well. they said that mixing them in a 2x12 or 2 each in a 4x12 works really well

8. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I own 7 of the Alnico, three 2x12s and one in a mix in a 4x12. Obviously I like them a lot.

9. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

I'm currently running an alnico hemp w/ a ceramic greenback type speaker in a closed back 2x12. Sounds great with all my amps, I imagine it would sound great with an ac-30. Keep in mind that the alnico hemps are a bit darker and smoother.

10. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I have a "bomb" cab and a tone tubby 1x12 cab with the alnico hemp and I absolutely love both. I use the 1x12 as my take to jam cab. Usually with a marshall 2061x head or my carr slant6 head. The 2x12 bomb is used exclusivly for gigs with my carr slant6. I have been through quite the speaker quest and I have been running these now for the last 6 months and I couldn't imagine not having them. Simply amazing.

11. wopr

wopr Member

Can anyone compare them to Weber's speakers, like his 12F150?

12. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

My K&M 212 cab has one Tone Tubby Alnico and one Tone Tubby Ceramic. It is a superb combination, just gorgeous tone.

13. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Are the Tone Tubbies alnico better than the Celestion blue? You guys have me itching to get my credit card out.

14. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Totally different sounding speakers. The Blues are way brighter weak bass and very dynamic and loud. Tone Tubbys are much warmer almost dark but they do respond well if you turn up the treble and presence which I like. They have stiffer bass and a furry texture like a Greenback. They aren't as loud as a Blue and I ran one with a blue in a 2x12 and the blue pretty much drowned out the TT.

15. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I really don't think that you would regret it. The first speaker that I have used with my slant6 that didn't give cone cry and sounded absolutely fantastic. I have gotten more kudos on my tone since I switched. Everyone is allways asking, "what kinda of speaker cab is that?"

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

thats one thing im liking the most. at full volume, no cone cry. i had that with my bad cat when using 1-12

17. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

My THD Univalve is a relatively birght amp by nature and im looking for a speaker to compliment it.

I've been heading in the territory of a greenback sounding speaker or a G12H.

I was just wondering is the Tone Tubby Alinco speaker bright like the Blue. as i want a fairly mellow speaker to compliment my amp