Tone Tubby 12" Alnico Paper Cone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tybone, Dec 25, 2005.

1. tybone

tybone Member

Hi and hope everyone is having a good one today. I spent a little time today thinking about my TT Alnico paper cones. I have them in a 2x12 open back cab. I have been hitting them pretty hard with a couple of amps (15 and 22 watts) and they sounded a little stiff and yes buzzy.

I got them on TGP and kind of assumed that they were mostly broken in but, in lue of the rare instances in which I am actually wrong, I hooked them up, still in cab, to a 9vAC transformer, for two 30 minute sessions. I probably should have taken them out of the cab (and done the calculations for breakin voltage etc) cuz it was LOUD.

After the first session the speakers started to have alittle more lively top end. They were quite jangley compared to how they sounded before the mini break in. Very nice snap and twang with a strat. They started to react very well to overdriven tones too. They don't seem to compress as much as the celestion style speakers but the are a little less efficient. I put them on for another 30 minutes.

After the second session they started to get a little more bass response. It was a bit like the hemp cones where they give you this little pop at the begining of notes that are plucked just so. These speakers are voiced quite differntly than celestions (say the g12H30) but do seem to have a fairly early breakup and a little bit of that G12M sizzle/kazoo but in a good way. I know Eddy D. doesn't like that and I can understand why. But for me, in the mix, it seems to make the guitar stand out. Anyway, It's that midrange bark, slightly rolled off highs and the pop that appeal to me. The are not as warm sounding as the Hemp cones but they are still not as bright as a G12h30 or a Blue. I was a little surprised how much the TT's were breaking up compared to scumbag and a celestion g12h/m in another 2x12 (closed) cab. The TT's provided a nice crisp mid focussed grind but would clean up well when you backed off the volume a bit.

I didn't have my 18 watt with me nor do I have a Two Rock handy at the moment but I would like to see how they responded to those types amps. I would also like to put them in a 2x12 or 4x12 with a pair Cannibis Rex I have. That would add to the bottom end response for sure.

Sorry to make this a little long but, before I bought these, I was looing for info on the TTAPC's and wasn't able to find much from end users. So this is a little gap filling. Now that the speakers are starting to find their voice I will post a couple of clips in a day or two. I have a Victoria Tweed Trem that sounds very nice with these.

Cheers
    Lawrence

2. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

After reading post after post about how much time it takes to break in tone tubby speakers I don't understand why the manufacture doesn't break them in before they sell them. You read over and over about some people not likeing them after a short try and then other people saying how you really have to give them a long break in and then they really open up. I don't know but I feel for the money you pay for them they should be broken in when you purchase them.

3. tybone

tybone Member

Good point GN. It would save some time.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

good stuff, ty!

always appreciated when a quality comment on a product is posted. i love my H1E's, and IMHO, they're a terrific match w/ my ears. smooth, yet rich midrange that's a nice companion to my voxy and mumbly sounding amps.

5. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I had a two rock cab loaded with a pair of paper cone TT. Contrary to the popular opinion, I thought they were a great speaker. they improved the sound of any amp that I tried them with (toneking, '72 marshall, fdri). I thought that they had a nice singing character to them. The one drawback is that they are not high wattage. They did handle my 50 watt marshall, though. But, I only ran it at volume (about 7 on the dial) one time for about 45 min. That was loud.

6. tybone

tybone Member

Hey jokerjkny, cheers for that. The TT,s do sound good with mumble and vox. I am getting some cool tones/responses using my victoria tweed too. I'll post a link to a clip when I am done. Last time I tried recording TT's I got good results. They are differnt than celestions and as such can be a bit difficult to embrase sonically.

7. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

My well-broken in TT paper cone 8 ohm jobber is permanently wed to my Trinity Lightning. It allows me to open up the treble a bit more, which is nice for grabbing more gain in a bandwidth that helps me ride feedback, without poking my earhole with a sharp object.

Me likes.

8. tybone

tybone Member

Eureka! Dr. Rico in Florida. You used to own a DC 30 didn't you? Played up and down the left coast? Cheers from another Trinity 15 owner.

9. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I ams whats I ams! Happy Holidays, L! We are stranded in South Carolina at the moment (car trouble) and won't be back to TO before summer, I reckon. I hope you all are well.

Rik

10. tybone

tybone Member

Sorry about the car Dr. I know how it feels having just turned 300k km on my LHS! The TT's seem to have this midrange honk that works in certain contexts. I am quite sure a SM57 (no put intended) loves the tone tubby sound and puts it quite well onto tape etc.

Cheers
    LB

11. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Rico...

How much more would you say you can goose the treble with the TT compared to, say, a Cele Blue?

How does opening up the treble allow you to ride feedback better compared to turning it down with a brighter speaker? wouldn't the resulting tone (brighter speaker, lower treble v. warmer speaker, higher treble) be about the same?

Gracias.

12. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Hola Scott!

One of the cool things about amps is that by messing with the bandwidth of various gain stages, you can bring in or cut out harmonic content within the circuit to change the quality of the distortion and how it responds to your playing without ultimately having to hear all that information when it exits the speaker. By using the speaker as a post-OT hi-cut control, it is possible to add more treble within the amp to create more harmonic complexity that contributes to the amp overdrive, but then dump the high frequency hash that puts a hurt on the earholes.

A warm amp/bright speaker combination does not give you the same response to feedback, the same singing quality, or the same OD as a bright amp/warm speaker combination. At least that's been my experience.

You might mess with this as an experiment using OD and EQ pedal stacks. Boost the highs/cut lows upstream of the OD, then add post-OD EQ to bring it back to less highs and more lows. Then try the reverse. Tell me what you think! IME, the former leads to a MUCH more pleasing OD quality than the latter.

Have fun, R

P.S. RE: Celly Blue vs TT paper. Day and night. Once the Celly is WELL broken-in, more low end is developed, but the top remains pretty barky to me. I like Celly Blues alot, but the TT is a better mate for my Lightning and is the better tool for the bright amp/warm speaker thing.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

think of it like a really glossy barbeque sauce. you can see a certain sheen that the caramelized sugars do to a sauce, but its still dark and rich in color. same thing w/ the TT's.

and yea, my TT's have plenty of high end.

EDIT: dont quite understand the rest of your question SCW, but feedback w/ the TT's is just as easy to control as most any other speaker i've used.

14. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

This is good to hear.

I ordered a ceramic H1E to replace the G12H30 in my Z Best(it will be paired with a GB for the time being). It should be here tomorrow.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

ooo,

interesting. cant wait to hear your impressions after break in.

16. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I was asking if you increase your treble control with TTs, couldn't you get the same tone by decreasing the treble control with a brighter speaker?

Rico answered me with aplomb.

I am sure that I would like this TT if I could ever break it in. Hard to do in a NYC apt.

17. Mrvic

Mrvic Guest

Got my brand new SDG-made 18w amp.The fine jewelry-like consruction of the amp is complimented by the Tone Tubby 12" Alnico sequestered within.They can peel paint when driven hard...gotta love it.NOT broken in yet, but SOON.

18. woude

woude Member

Do TT speakers still have that chiming high-end of the alnico blues? And I mean chiming like that 10" alnico speaker-chime. Transparancy in the higher frequencies... errr after breaking in offcourse.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

FYI,

i just got my Tone Tubby 2x10 loaded w/ what else? TT 10" speakers! i'll let you know in a few days after i break 'em in. ;)

but from what i've had, the TT's do have a great chimey high end. BUT, compared o the blues, they lack that glossy gooey sheen of high end. the TT's are a touch more brown in that respect. still, having both in one cab is a heady experience to say the least.

ahhh,

understood.

as for speaker breaking in, that's why i love living in NJ, in house, with a basement, near the GWB. :)

20. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

Not to go too off topic, but . . .

Dr. Rico or Joker - how do you like the TT speakers with your Alessandros? I am trying to put together a new speaker setup for my English, and these sound like they might be the ticket as I sometimes think the amp is a little bright (for me). Not sure if I should look for a paper or hemp cone, and if I need one or two though . . .

Thanks!