Tone Tubby 40/40 10" in Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by otherone, Mar 9, 2015.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Any thoughts on this speaker in a vintage blackface Princeton Reverb amp? Have a c10q Jensen reissue...would like a bit louder/cleaner/later breakup, and sl less harsh highs, without losing the vintage Jensen tone.

2. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Can't speak for your amp combo, but I have run a 12" 40/40 in several tube amps and a SS and I thought the treble was pretty present.

Have you considered the Eminence Li'l Buddy?
    I think Carr uses (used?) it in one of his small amps & spoke of it quite highly.

3. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Supporting Member

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Absolutely brilliant combo if you want a bit fuller, thicker and roll off the egg frying top end fizzle a bit. But of you want vintage "jensen'esque" tones it might not be best choice. In essence their a hemp coned Celestion in their voicing. And I say this as a really big TT 40/40 fanboi, absolutely love them.

I'd point you to a Alltone/Reverend 1040, it's got this vintage Jensen and old world Celestion had a baby thing going on. C10q is 95+ db rated speaker, Alltone is a 97db so a couple db louder, is less flubby on bottom, not as raspy on top but still has a little bit of mids scoop to keep it real and for sure has more headroom.

Also everybody seems to be raving on the New Jupiter speakers, the 10LC probably be a perfect fit.

Last edited: May 22, 2015