Tone Tubby 40/40 in Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by otherone, Mar 9, 2015.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Anyone try this?...the 10" speaker. Right now have an old Jensen reissue c10q 35w/95.2 sens. Like the sound but looking for a little 1. louder and cleaner (breakup at higher volume). 2. sl less harsh treble...with the Jensen I need to put treble on 4 which makes it sound good. 3. want a good touch sensitivity/bounce on the strings 4. wanna match the wattage to around double or sl more than the wattage of the amp (12 watts)...do not wanna go with a 75 watt speaker. Tone tubby has caught my eye...anyone? Also looking at eminence 50 watt hemp cone lil buddy?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

3. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

I have one in my '68 PR and am very happy with it. It is louder and cleaner and made me decide not to put a 12" baffle and speaker in there.

Mike

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

To me yes, they work very well for what you want, but tastes in speakers is such a polarizing subject, especially when it comes to the Fender sound. Louder, extremely louder and cleaner, you'll be pushing vol up probably 2 notches to get same breakup but it will be about 70% louder when you get there, it will almost double the volume of your amp. But fact that it's smoother will soften this effect somewhat. Bass you will surely be dumping it a notch or 2.

Lil buddy is very much darker and smoother than 40/40.
    You can see their curves here, other is the copperhead, which is also a speaker you should consider.
    [​IMG]

You can see buddy has way more bottom and less upper end sparkle around 3k.

5. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

This speaker/amp is an oft asked question.

It all depends on your taste. What tones do you like? Do you want to keep the Fendery tone of the amp, or change it?

I wanted to change the tone of a bigger Fender amp with 2 10's, so I bought a TT40/40. It did exactly what folks here said it would do, and that was good. (in tandem with the original Fender 10 inch).

But I did drop it into my Princeton Reverb first, alone, for a taste test It drastically changed the sound of the PR. The Fender tone was gone, and in its place was a mid heavy cardboard sounding tone. Some people may like that. Maybe that's good for a lot of pedal use?

6. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Funny, the past few days I've been comparing a Tone Tubby 40/40, Cannabis Rex and Celestion Gold (all 12" btw) with a PRRI. All the speaker I've mention will do just what, you're trying to do. The Golds will add more mids, the Rex, warmth, and the 40/40 a mix of both. All of these will make your amp LOUDER.

7. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

I had the exact same experience as Jimmy and pulled out the TT and gave it to a friend who put it in his Pro. It sounds good in that amp , but took the Fender Black Face tone away from my PRRI. I ultimately put in a Celestion Gold 10 inch speaker in my PRRI and am very happy. I now have a fuller Black Face tone with plenty of Fender chime with just a bit more mids.

8. m1911

m1911 Member

We had Wayne from Headstrong build his Lil King Reverb (Princeton) with a Tone Tubby 10" Green Ceramic Hemp Cone......and couldn't be happier.
    I've bought over 2 dozen Tone Tubbies over the years....mostly in ALNICO.
    However, the Blackface was dying for a Ceramic Tone Tubby.
    We liked it so much we had Wayne build a 4x10 Royal Reverb (Super Reverb) and used four of the same Green Tone Tubbies in it too....AWESOME!
    http://www.tonetubby.com/40-40-ceramic.html

[​IMG]

9. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

I put a Tone Tubby 40/40 12 inch in my 1970 Fender Princeton Reverb and I love it! I also had it completely re-capped first.
    I spent about $600.00 including the speaker fixing it up which is fine considering I found it in a dumpster in the rain with the speaker missing.
    People ask me to sell it quite a bit and once when I took it into a shop to fix something on it the owner who collects old Fenders told me it was the loudest Princeton he had ever heard.

I am very happy it's warm, touch sensitive and I don't know what it would have sounded like with a Jensen, or if it took away the Fender vibe but I am buying a couple more.

10. radcliff

radcliff Member

I tried the 40/40 in my Princeton and it sounded really nice, but just different than I had hoped.
    I'm selling it if anyone's interested - PM me.

11. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Not that anyone asked but the Weber alnico Blue Pup sounds really nice in my SFPR. It fill in the mids a bit but it still sounds very Fender-ey. I have a Weber 10a125a in another SFPR and that sounds nice but a bit too mid-scooped with a more treble-ey emphasis so the speaker would probably actually match better with a Fender Tweed amp of some sort.

-bEn r.

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've heard the 40/40 is good but haven't tried one. But to me the perfect speaker is a 10F150 50 watt screen dust cap.

13. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have a 10F150t 50 watt on order. I didn't see an option on the dust cap. What's the "screen" dust cap all about?

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

the screen cap tames the highs a bit. You can change your order, just email them. They don't start building usually for a couple of weeks. They just shipped one I ordered.
    I went to their site and you are right... they have taken the dustcap choice off! They must have just done this in the last 2-3 weeks. I'm sure they'll do it for you though. Also, get it broken in...helps a little....

15. dcbc

dcbc Member

Thanks. I just emailed them. I ordered it a while back, but my last speaker took about a month before I got the ship notification. They also took the break in option off the page, but I emailed them from the get-go on that and they emailed me back that it would not be a problem.