tone tubby alnico h1e vs celestion 1265

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Jan 20, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Category 5

Category 5 Member

tone tubby has way more bottom end and sparkling highs(smooth). G1265 is a little more throaty in the midrange. Both are great - 65's are best in closed back. We use both speakers in our amps.
    DonR

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

I can't comment on the TT but can tell you that the Rola Celestion G12-65s work just as well on open back cabs. I have had them in Hiwatt and Marshall 4 X 12" cabs where they sound great but I have also had them in open back combos like the Fender Deluxe and Princeton II amps, Boogie Mark IIC" and MK III, Studio .66, Ampeg Gemini I, Marshall JTM30 and Studio 15 and JCM 800 2 X 12 combo. In each of those amps the G12-65 sounded at least as good and many times much better than the stock speakers and other speakers I tried, including JBL's, Electro Voice, Jensens, other Celestions and Webers. The 12-65 is a very versatile speaker and it works very well in my single 12" detuned cab as well.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have both. The TT works better in my opinion for just about anything other than Marshall crunch. DonR description pretty much mirrors mine. It also depends on the version g12 -65 your talking about as they made a bunch of them not sure about the new reissue.

5. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

These are probably my two favorite speakers. Both are very versatile, and this is a pretty good summary of their differences.

6. Category 5

Category 5 Member

I agree, the 65's sound good in open back applications as well, but the tone tubbies almost need some open back to get them to sound their best-so I lean to the 65's for the closed back application. We use the heritage reissues, pricy, but very nice. Both speakers are versitle and can cover fnder,marshall,vox tones equally well.

DonR