• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tone Tubby Ceramic vs Scumbacks

ianblond

Hello , i need a pair of speakers immediately.Unfortunately there is long waiting period for Scumback speakers now.I have possbility to buy TT ceramics H1E.What`s the differences between Scumbacks H75 (and LHDC - i use both) and TT`s?
My Scumbacks are 65watters
TT`s are rated 40watts - from my experience other hempconed speakers -Cannabis Rex (50 watt) were too compressed at higher volumes so will they handle cranked Hiwatt 50 or Low Powered Twin?
What about bass response in TT`s?
Cannabis Rexes have round/flabby bass.Scumbacks , especially LHDC version have tight , defined bass.
Scumbacks have full , deep sound straight from the box.TT`s need brokening period.
What about highs?
Scumbacks are creamy and articulated.
I hope TT`s H1E have the same kind of highs like Cannabis Rex - hempcone-like but they are brighter than previous model...

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
I agree the TT ceramic is bright and chimey. To me it was a bit harsh. I had it in a Deluxe Reverb (tested about 10 other speakers also). Ice pick highs.

The TT has an American flavor vs the Scumback H75's British flavor.

The TT Ceramic sounds very similar to the Weber 12F150 imo.

The Scumback H75 sounds nothing like the TT Ceramic - it's darker and crunchy and thick. More throaty/gutteral. The highs were a little more rounded. Not ice pickey imo.

Honestly, the H75 and CRex kind of sound similar to me. CRex may be a little more aggressive - more mids (just a tad).

My Scumback's needed about 15 hours at high volume to break-in. They sounded pretty bad until then.

Not sure about the bass on any of these speakers...I hardly ever play the low two strings on my guitar unless I'm playing jazz and in that case I'm not playing loud.

I think the TT Ceramic would be great for loud cleans - like country chicken pickin.

The CRex and Scumback H75 are great for creamy distortion. H75 is also nice for cleans. CRex is ok - I think I need to break mine in more. It's still pretty dark - not unusable dark though. Just a little darker than taste.

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
How about Austin KTS 70s?

I just got one, only took 2 days to be shipped to me.

Has tight bass, chimey top end, NO harshness. Very warm, unearthly good clean tones. It's an 80 watter.

Many folk consider them to be at least as good, or better, than Scumbacks and scumnicos.

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
Oh yeah, forgot to add, no need to break them in-- they sound perfect right out of the box.

:)

ianblond

If TT is brighter than Scumback H75 it is not for me.Tone tubbies are sold now only in brighter version....
There are many opinions about Austins but there are no specs about them.Short description from guitar25.com is not enough.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I own a TT ceramic and a Scumback m75. I don't find the tt to be brighter, in fact in my experience the tt is darker. The Scumback has a more pronounced midrange.

ryhlick

I own all three speaker in question here, and I have to say I would take the Austin Speaker Works over them all. The ASW seems more balanced and has sweeter mids and top end than the H75 or TT. They all are nice speakers, but I would give the ASW a look if it is in the budget.
If TT is brighter than Scumback H75 it is not for me.Tone tubbies are sold now only in brighter version....
There are many opinions about Austins but there are no specs about them.Short description from guitar25.com is not enough.

Tone E Blares

Sorry bout that. We do have some better descriptions on our own site (not Guitar25.com), but I don't think I've added the efficiencies yet. Should read 99db for the ceramics and 99.5 for the Elegante. We are working on an FAQ section which touches more on qualitative aspects and will post some clips ASAP, but SXSW has got us a little slammed!:eek:

That said, guitar speaker descriptions are tough. Hopefully we're better at making speakers than concisely describing them, for whatever thats worth.:NUTS

In general, there's really no substitute for trying speakers in your own rig, so we try to encourage that. Clips are good, but for ours you'll have to have to wait.

Trending Topics