• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tone Tubby Low Watt Alnico Speakers - Opinions?

southy

Did a quick search and found only a couple of reviews on these. I'm looking to replace the P12Q I currently have in my Vox TB18 with a similar (low power, low efficiency Alnico) speaker ...but hoping for a little more bottom end. I've thought about something Blue flavored, but every variety seems to weigh around 9 pounds (Celestion, Weber, WGS, etc) and I'd like to keep this combo as light as possible.

These 25w Tone Tubby's seem like a good option, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually played one.

Last edited:

EFK

Silver Supporting Member
These do not sound like P12Q, they sound like P12R w/ the 1" voice coil. I find them very clear and bright, a little glassy and piercing at first but they do smooth out relatively quickly and sound very even across the board. They also offer some speaker breakup when pushed, as advertised. I think they are perfect for darker 6V6 amps. But if you're looking for more low end than a P12Q, these aren't it. I'd recommend a Weber 12A125-O which is the 1.25" voice coil P12Q type speaker but with the smooth cone. Great speakers.

southy

Great info

I talked with a rep at Tone Tubby earlier today and he assured me these had huge bass compared to a P12Q. I figured someone who didn't work for the company would give me the real story. :)

Thanks!

Oatie

The Tone Tubbys are a dark sounding speaker,
I have not had good luck with them.

southy

I've played other TT speakers which were definitely dark, but these particular low watt speakers (labeled Humbolt on the back) are supposed to be actually very bright.

EFK

Silver Supporting Member
I've played other TT speakers which were definitely dark, but these particular low watt speakers (labeled Humbolt on the back) are supposed to be actually very bright.
Absolutely, these are not like any of the other TT speakers (which I generally do not like). I like these VERY much, and they are a classic 'American' sounding speaker, a real 1950s sound, but they have to be paired with the right amp. They are PERFECT for amps like the GA20, any of the 50s Valco amps, a 5E3 etc. Very much a P12R sound, and I've compared directly in a GA20 with an original P12R. Sorry to hear they gave you the "huge bass" line, because these ain't that, but they can certainly stand on their own high merits in the right application.

FireBottle

Gold Supporting Member
I have considered swapping my stock Jensens out for Ttubby 25W alnico/ceramic X pattern in my Vicky bassman just for something different...any thoughts?

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
I had one of the first proto type of this SR 25 and it was great but I think it was a bit different from the productions models. It was in a basket with an extra cardboard surround put down before the cone was attached. I only used it in a Princeton Reverb that TGP member Lance loved.

I also played through several SR 25 10" speakers and I ruined them all. I don't like them very much because they all had short lives.

DaveKS

I own the 8" and 12" alnico. Yes they are very bright, but not quite into realm of harsh.

The 8" I have in old Rickenbacker M-8 amp, it is it's soulmate. It's 8" hemp cone does have more usable bottom than most 8" I know of. It's not that It has more pronounced bass it just that that hemp cone doesn't get as flubby/farty when pushed the way some 8" do.

The 12" seems much the same, bright and doesn't flub out on bottom as easily when pushed. Not more bass, it just doesn't give up as soon and totally fall apart.

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any idea how one of these would sound in the handwired Vox AC4 to replace the stock 12" Greenback? I couldn't find much info on these particular Tone Tubbies for this specific application, so does anyone have any idea how one might sound in one of these amps? Thanks for any input!

DaveKS

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any idea how one of these would sound in the handwired Vox AC4 to replace the stock 12" Greenback? I couldn't find much info on these particular Tone Tubbies for this specific application, so does anyone have any idea how one might sound in one of these amps? Thanks for any input!
See my reply here. In a essence no, unless your trying for that pawnshop amp vibe with your Vox. Weber blue dog with hemp option be a better choice.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1301154

Trending Topics

Top Bottom