Tone Tubby Purple Haze - Anyone have any experience?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by satisphied, Apr 20, 2016.

1. satisphied

satisphied Member

I am really interested in these and may pull the trigger on a rather pricey 2x12.. $1299 but loaded with these speakers.

I have a 68 drri and a mesa mark iii red stripe which I will run through, but probably in the next year I will get a fuchs ods or clean machine. My understanding of speakers and wattages is very little, I heard from a joe bonamassa gear video that running a 100w head through a 2x12 may push the speakers too hard? Is that true?

Fuchs customer service said as long as you don't run your amp at full distortion full volume (which most smart people don't) you would be fine. From what I have read on here though you want your speakers to be about 1 and a half times the power rating of the amp. The purple haze speakers are 40w, but I don't know having 2 of them and the ohms play into things.

I still don't know whether my mesa is 75w or 100w.. it's a long chassis red stripe with a half power or 15w switch.

Jonathan Byrnside likes this.
  2. satisphied

satisphied Member

3. Seriesnuns

Seriesnuns Supporting Member

I have a tone tubby purple haze/winters and combo with my mark iii.

It takes a while to break in, I got mine from Sigmund with the break in. I came from a WGS v30/eh65 combo.

I won't be going back. I believe with these speakers you get what you pay for.

4. satisphied

satisphied Member

Awesome, is trey using a winterland too?

I actually got a bad case of gas and was presented with the opportunity to buy a fuchs tds 100 that was owned and toured by dweezil zappa, I had to take it.

This left me pretty broke after having bought a port city 2x12 as well. I am about to pull the trigger on 2 wsg et 65s for the fuchs, how did you like that and the vet 30? At 70 bucks a piece it can be hard to argue, not to mention andy fuchs the amp genius endorses them whole heartedly..

5. Seriesnuns

Seriesnuns Supporting Member

I don't think Trey uses the winterland, I like complementing my speakers.

I liked the Vet 30/ET65 combo at first, but after a while it left me wanting something more. The TT really pulls the notes and your playing through. It's pricey though, I'm glad I did it rather then try trying out another amp. Now if I get GAS I make sure I go playing my current rig and it goes away pretty fast.

I get the Fuchs though, I hear those amps and they sound pretty damn good. They got mojo for sure.

6. Jonathan Byrnside

Jonathan Byrnside Member

The speakers will see equal wattage so if you're running two Purple Hazes, you need to make sure your amp wattage is no more than 80 watts.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  7. Jonathan Byrnside

Jonathan Byrnside Member

Trey Just uses the Purple Haze.

8. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I would set up your cabinet to be 8 ohms in order to be accommodating to both the MkIII and DR as these are primarily 8 ohm amps. Get two 16 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel.
    A 100w head into a 2x12" does not push speakers too hard, unless the speakers can't handle the power of the head or the head is set extra bassy to make up for the thump many experience through larger cabinets.
    As far as a 80w power handling of the speakers with your Mesa that depends on which version of power amp it has. Is the power switch labeled 100/60 or Simul-class/Class A? The 100/60 is 100 or 60 watts, Simul-class is about 85-ish and Class A is about 15 watts. In either high power setting, as long as you are not running the amp over 3-ish on the master (which is really loud, as you know), the speakers should be fine.
    I used to run my 2203 head into an old Fender 2x12" with Greenbacks. It was the best sounding cabinet for that head. Never played it loud enough to compete with a hard hitting drummer and the speakers were fine despite having half the power handling of the head.

9. satisphied

satisphied Member

The fuchs tds100 and wgs et65s are sounding better every day, but I think I may be more of an open back cab kind of guy. I bought a vertical 2x12os to get away from it sounding so directional. but it still sounds so in your face and suffocated. With this being my first cab I can't be sure, but all my other combo amps are open back and I think I prefer that.

The question is; do I get a cheaper pine 2x12 like treys made and put v30s in it? or go with a hard truckers w/ purple haze?

jimmy herring uses TT reds I think which sound amazing with all his amps (fuchs tds/ods/Cleanmachine, super reverb, bassman).

Not enough money in the world..

10. B00gieMK2

B00gieMK2 Member

What styles do you play, what types of tones? Some people really like V30s and some don't. I have a Mesa Express 5:25+ with a Winterland and have a 1x12 extension with a Purple Haze. The Winterland is a bit more forward than the Purple and does heavy distortion a bit better IMO. The combination covers from chime to grind well. Takes some playing-in to get the best tones.

I have some Reds, they are not as bright as the Purple or Grey. Bright does not mean piercing, hemp cones don't donpiercing. Reds are really nice speakers, depends on the amp and cab what tone you are after.

Go for a pine cab and get Purple Haze/Winterland mix. The ALNICO speakers have the singing thing when driven a bit, the Grey gives some "umpf". The pine is like a super reverb cab, get open back, will not be constrained.

11. B00gieMK2

B00gieMK2 Member

Hey satisphied, any decisions on a cab and speakers? Lots of options on cabinets. The Tone Tubby cabs were at one time made with poplar plywood, which is lighter than birch, yet stiff.

12. satisphied

satisphied Member

I think I am going to get a TRM hard trucker style 2x12 for my mesa, then a v boutique dumble style 2x12 or 1x12 for my dumble style amps (I think im going to get a two rock studio pro in addition to the fuchs), and I'll be selling my port city. not sure if i'll keep the wgs

13. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

@Jonathan Byrnside et al - I have a purple haze and a Suhr Bella on the way which is switchable between 22 and 44 watts. Could it handle 44 or is that too risky? If I put in a 112 extension cab and run that from the second speaker output, that would mean I'm only getting half the wattage to that speaker and would be safe, right?

14. Jonathan Byrnside

Jonathan Byrnside Member

You should be just fine. We underrate the power of all of our speakers. The Purple Haze has the same voice coil as the Alnico Red, which itself is underrated at 50 watts.

weshunter likes this.
  15. B00gieMK2

B00gieMK2 Member

I've been using a Purple Haze in my Mesa Boogie MKIIA 60W. I don't turn it all the way up, I have played it outside and it got loud. No problems so far.

weshunter likes this.