Tone Tubby vs. Celestion Blue...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AK1, May 18, 2005.

1. AK1

AK1 Member

Hi all

anybody try these side by side ?
    What kinda cab do the Tubbys like ?

thanks
    AK

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Tubby vs Blue is like Night vs Day.

3. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Hi -
    Rick from Celestion here-
    I was actually at Tone Tubby two weeks ago and enjoyed a visit with John. The Tone Tubby has a darker heavier sound and some use it in real bright amps to tone things down. I have been told that it will handle more power, but I haven't personally done that test. The Blue is of course known for its top-end chime. Hope that helps a bit!

Rick

4. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Among other things, "efficiency of tone". Starting out dark and somewhat flat, the Tone Tubby needs to be pushed hard by a bright amp to awaken the tonal colors it can give. Once it does awaken, with the right amp they are exceptionally sweet.

The Blue shows its colors right up front, and then increases the saturation of those colors as it is pushed. Over time, it just becomes richer and... more amazing.

The Tone Tubby does open up over time so that it is more colorful at lower volumes, but that can be a good while.

5. AK1

AK1 Member

for your response, I suppose the Tubbys aren't for me.
    Rick of Celestion LTD - I have a pair of Blues that I'm using with a Div. by 13
    9/15.
    The Blues seem to be very particular in what kind of cab they want to be.
    I've tried a few and ended up with some obscure closed back frontloader that somebody slapped together in their garage and covered with fluffy carpet - I'm still not 100% content though, any suggestions ?
    thanks
    AK

6. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Hi AK,
    My Div. by 13 cab is open back outfitted with a Blue and a G12H30 together. Infact, it seems (to me) that the Blue is more often mixed with something else rather then paired with another Blue. What other cab designs and speaker mitures have you tried? The secret of your tone may be in the fluffy carpet!:D

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I love both :D

Wouldn't use them for the same music with the same amp.

And they won't replace my Scumbag speakers :dude

I feel sorry for anyone who has to choose just one.:(

8. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

I prefer Blues in general for my 18W amps. I use a pair of Blues in a rather large, semi-open back cabinet for my own 18W head. I had these same speakers in a large closed back 2-12 cab and it made way too much bass with my 18W. It put too much pressure on my ears! Maybe with an amp with less bottom end, that would have been OK but not with the 18W.

I also play my 100W head through the 2-12 Blues-loaded cab but not too loudly for fear of blowing them up. That sounds very nice.

I prefer the Blues in pairs BTW. A single Blue sounds very good but a pair of them is heavenly.

As an aside, I recently got a McGourty 25W Greenback clone (and a 20W version too) that sounds gorgeous. It has that classic GB midrange growl, yet it has a clear high-freq sparkle up top that the RI Celestion GB doesn't have. These are very expensive unfortunately, but they do sound nice. I think they rival the sound of a Blue for most types of music that you would play on an 18W.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

sup Gray!

while the Blue is a great all around speaker, i really like TT's with single coils. along with my GDS 18 watter, the tones are fat and very rich. not quite as squawky, but still very cool.

FYI, there's three different types of TT's: H1 - original, H1E - brighter, and H1E-DD - which are brighter still.

i like the H1E which is a nice balance. compared to the Blue, the TT H1E is richer, and not quite as peaky. at low volumes, its not as nice as a blue, but not many speakers are.

and interestingly enough, at higher volumes, both the Blue and H1E have about the same bottom end. but the H1E has a bit more of a vocally throaty yet squishy compressed sound, while the Blue has a more woodier, squawkier, not quite as squishy compressed sound.

funny enough, i've REALLY been digging the vintage Silver Bell that George Alessandro reconed for me. has that Blue like upper mid snap, but with a much more fatter lower midrange. killer speaker. actually makin' me wonder about the Weber Silver Bell to see how it compares to my recone.

10. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Hae jae!

I played a 2-12 cab over at 908SSP's a couple weeks ago. After comparing that to a 2-12 EV loaded cab and a couple other misc cabs, the TT cab came out on top. IIRC, Alex said it had the mid level TTs in it. I liked it alot. It had a solid bottom and a nice smooth sparkly top end. This was with my 100W amp BTW.

I'd use those TTs gladly. They sounded very nice.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

really now!

hmmmmm, think i'll tell BBurt to rejigger my 2x12 order with TT H1E's. ;)

12. AK1

AK1 Member

this has been very informative.
    and Rick, I've tried a Trutone open back, which brought out the details, but sounded way too bright, thin and diffuse with the Blues. Also the Marshall
    2061CX that didn't work out so good either.
    You might be right, there is some mojo in that fluffy carpet covering...