Tone Tubby's and Emi Cannibus Rex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Laroosco!, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I'd like to know more about Tone Tubby's and how the Emi's stack up to the real thing.

A friend of mine paired a TT with a Greenback in his Bluesbreaker combo and it sounded killer. Now I'm curious about these speakers.

I hear that these speakers ar dark but my friends marshall opened up in a drastic way when the TT was installed.

Anything you can tell me will help

Thanks

2. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

No experience with the TT's but I have a pair of C Rex's that have a very big bottom end with very creamy top end. Dark is a good description when comparing them to some other speakers but they definitely still have a nice snappy upper midrange, IMO. I'm told they need a good long break in to really open up.

I'm actually selling a pair of like new 16 ohm C Rex's for $150 shipped to the conus if you're interested....they have yet to be fully broken in however.

3. Boogs

Boogs Member

It apparently depends. Mine did, others say theirs sounded good right out of the box.

The Rex is a great speaker, though, as long as you know it's not going to have a "chimey" sound to it. Smooth and defined, with an open top end is how I'd describe mine after breaking in.

4. jockman

jockman Member

I am waiting for a Rex to arrive, it's to go in my Park1273 combo ( 2xel84). That is quite a bright amp, hopefully the rex will live up to expectations. What I don't get is the HUGE price gap between the 2.

Jon

5. John55

John55 Member

I've had a C-Rex in my deluxe reverb for quite some time now and absolutely love it. Just for fun I've tried running all of my amps into that speaker and I've not found a bad matchup yet. From a Dr. Z Maz 18 to a 50w Marshall...they all sounded great. No harsh highs, pronounced mids or flabby bass, just smooth all the way.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Ceramic speakers are alway less money then Alnicos. TT does make a ceramic and they still cost more then a Rex but not nearly as much as the Alnico. I haven't tried the Rex but I have a bunch of Alnico TT and am really happy with those. But I still think there are lots of sounds that sound better through a set of Scumbags.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I've played the following thru Cannabis Rex speakers

1) THD FLexi approx 50 watts
    2)Demeter tga2-100
    3) Morin preamp into variety of power amps
    4) Engl el84 30 watt old stereo rack amp
    5) Engl Scramer 60 watt
    6) Marshall 1971 Superlead 100
    7) Marshall jcm800 2204 50 watt
    8) Modded Marshall jtm45ri (about 30 watts)

and LOTS of others, and all sound fantastic with Cannabis Rex's.

ERIC

8. Boogs

Boogs Member

Yep, that's the Rex. :D

Well, seeing this thread again has got me jonesing to play through the hemp monster again...

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I guess I'm just looking for a deep sounding speaker with a good top. I have G12H30's in my Z Best and while they don't sound bad they can be a bit spikey in the highs. Maybe a C Rex and a G12H30?
    Only one way to find out :D

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

IMHO,

the Tone Tubby H1E is your best bet. amazingly articulate top end, with... yes, that deep low end.

love mine in my Bob Burt 2x12.

[​IMG]

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

That's one of the expensive ones, right?

12. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I just looked at the TT site and i guess thhat HE1 refers to the Hempcone itself which is available in the AlNiCo and Caeramic versions...cool.

I'd love to try an AlNiCo, but I'm thinking that the ceramic would be better for the closed back cab maybe.

I wish I wasn't so broke, I'd like to try the TT but am tempted to get a C Rex instead and save some money. But I'm afraid that the "you get wwhat you pay for" rule might apply :D