1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tone Tubbys

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drmike, Oct 27, 2005.

1. drmike

drmike Member

I've heard some good things about the Tone Tubby hempcone speakers, and the sound clips sure sound good. I'm looking to replace the speakers in my Marshall 2-12 closed back cab and am considering the Tubbys. Anyone have any experience with these or any recommendations for a good warm, full, not over the top trebly 12" speaker for this type of application? I play mostly Classic Rock and Blues with moderate and sometimes high gain. What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of alnico vs. ceramic speakers?

What about a good 10" replacement speaker for a Fender Prosonic?

Thanks

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I've never had good luck with the alnico TT's. The top end just sounds fizzy to me. I've owned three different cabs with 'em with no luck.

The eminence legen 10" would probably be great in a prosonic. 105 I think is it's designation

3. drmike

drmike Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I've read that in closed back cabinets, people have combined the alnico and the ceramic tubbys or used just the ceramic. I just haven't heard enough of these or any speakers to make a good judgment about them.

By fizzy top end you mean undefined, unclear?

Any thoughts on the Patriot or Red Coat Series speakers (Emminence?)

Thanks

4. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

speakers are a big can of worms

there's a thread here that covers the new Ememince stuff at great length..

5. drmike

drmike Member

I figured as much. I don't know if I want to open the can, and I'm sure that there are probably as many opinions as members.

Thank you.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The Tone Tubby's are the farthest thing from fizzy I have ever heard. They tend to be dark and very smooth. They are often criticized for being dark never heard dark and fizzy in the same speaker. That said I have three cabs with TT speakers and I like them. I don't think they are the most appropriate speaker for classic rock they work great for Santana dark and smooth. They work well for amps where you want to crank up the treble setting to drive the amp harder or amps that are bright anyway. TTs come in different flavors the earliest untreated ones were very dark, later they started treating them and they became brighter but none are as bright as a Blue or a Fane. Alnicos in general in my experience tend to be a bit slow to respond so that they kind of round off the tone making it smoother less harsh and less aggressive then ceramic speaker. I love alnico speakers and have more cabs of alnicos then ceramics but prefer ceramics for classic rock tone and Marshalls.

7. drmike

drmike Member

Thanks Alex, that was very helpful. What do you think about mixing ceramic and alnico in a 2-12?

8. Stopgo

Stopgo Member

I have two, nearly new 10 inch alnicos if your interested . . .

9. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

A search should turn up quite a few threads on these speakers. They seem to work best to help tame the buzziness of a preamp based distortion. They are dark, smooth, and require quite a bit of break in to come into their own. The opinions vary pretty widely on them. I personally prefer a more open sounding speaker.

Dan

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Based on my experience with a couple of TT's, ditto everything. They work best driven hard with a bright sounding amp. For lower vol stuff, too dark and unresponsive for me.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I've done it in a couple of 4x12s sounded great but after a while it was too much of jack of all trades kind of thing didn't have a unique enough character to warrant keeping. But I have bunch of cabs if I had only a couple one might very well be a alnico/ceramic mix. You know I actually still have one it has three pre-rola g12m two 55hz and one 75hz and one Alnico Blue. And that cab sounds amazing the Blue adds a sweetness to the G12M that works great with my 68 Plexi. What head are you using with the Marshall cab? What kind of music or sound are you looking for?

12. drmike

drmike Member

I'd be using it with a Bad Cat Hot Cat Head or as an extension cab for my Fender Prosonic or Bogner Shiva. I play mostly Rock & Blues, nothing too heavy but I use a relatively high gain and crunchy sound fairly frequently

13. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Looks like its time for the anuual tone tubbies suck/rule debate. I'll save you the bother - some people are going to say they are the smoothest sound ever, others will say they are the most expensive piece of crap, and the rest will say it depends what model you get and whether it was an earlier or later hempcone etc :D

I personally liked every TT I tried, hemcone, paper cone, alnico or otherwise, but it is not a celestion blue clone...it has its own deal going on.

14. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I had a Scumbag SA12H-30 75 and a TT in a 2x12 for while that worked really well and might be what your looking for the Scumbag gave the amp good clarity and crunch the TT gave the cab warmth. That might be what your after. But it really boils down to trying some things and just listening and deciding if that does it for you. I can't really tell what will work I don't think anybody honestly can. The Scumbag/TT cab was one I liked but in the end I couldn't match it up to something in my collection so I tried something else it might work for you.

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

this is for sure true!

16. drmike

drmike Member

Yes, I believe it's very true, that, in essesnce, any tone issue really boils down to one's ears and I suppose that it's a process of trial and error for most of us. It's still nice to have the opinions of experienced tone seekers as a starting point. Are guitarists ever trully content with their tone though? Most of us are continually looking fo the magical piece that will get us "there", wherever that may be.