"tone" tube in cowtipper pro II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnzias, Nov 10, 2007.

1. johnzias

johnzias Member

I just picked up a Cowtipper 45 Pro II almost new from a fellow member, with the extra "Tone" tube. This tube does not glow and any heat I've felt on the bottle seems to be reflected from
    V1. I 've played the amp with the tube removed, and did notice a slight difference in the tone, but not necessarily lesser in quality. I've also swapped the tube.

I know this is a new model, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Also, I'll ask again. Is the bias pot only accessible by removing the chassis?

Tag? anyone?

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Yea, its a dummy tube. ;)

Seriously, if the tube is not glowing, obviously something is wrong with the amp. Send it back to Tony, they have a lifetime warantee. :dude I should have mine in 2-3 weeks, and a FULL tonal report will be forthcoming! My amps are 4 years old, and all the tubes are working perfectly, so I have never had to re bias. Just pop the 4 bolts (45 seconds with a power screwdriver) and the chasis slides right out if you need to do that. How is the amp sounding otherwise?

3. ryhlick

ryhlick Member

Congratulations on the Bruno, they are amazing amps. I have biased my CT 22, and CT 35 pro11, and you do have to remove the chasis to do this. You will see the bias pot in there, it looks like a normal volume pot. There will be some goop on the pot, so peel it off the shaft carefully. Then bias your amp, be careful if you have not done this before. Good luck and enjoy your amp.
    Brad

4. johnzias

johnzias Member

Thanks for the responses.

The amp sounds very good. At this point I'm not overwhelmed, but I like its fundamental sound. Hopefully a few tweaks will get me there!

Ken Volpe informed me that by saving $$$$ up front, I gave up my warranty. He also said to call him back on Monday so all is not lost!

5. Tag

Thats good news!! I would think that once you get that tube fixed, the amp is going to sound a LOT better. I blew a reverb tube in my Cow 22, and the amp still worked, but even with the reverb knob all the way off, the sounds quality went way down. Strange.

6. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

Hopefully the lifetime warranty applies to people other then original purchasers!

7. Tag

According to the web site, it does not. Being in business for myself, I do the exact same thing with the warantee on my work.
    Original purchaser only!

WAY WAY to many variables to deal with for *me*.

8. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

Tag,

I agree regarding the warranties, just hoping for the OP! :BEER

9. johnzias

johnzias Member

I don't know. Porsche warranties cars for 4 years from the in service date. Seems to me there's a lot less that can go wrong with a Bruno.

The amp is 2 months old but it has no warranty because another person owns it? Seems like there could be a middle ground.

10. Tag

I bought my UG 30 used knowing there was no warantee, and have never had a failure. However, even if something does break, I would feel obligated to pay for any repair. He made no money from the sale, why should he have to fix it for free? I am sure he would repair it for a very fair price though. Did you ask Ken? If that tube is not working, I would see if the person you bought the amp from would pay for the repair, or put in a claim to UPS or fed X if it was shipped. Something is wrong for sure. :(

11. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

:BEERExactly Right Tag. There are too many folks where fixing and tweaking amps for free, trade or sometimes cash:rotflmaobecomes expected. I've seen guys pay 10 Porche Boxers for a guitar and complained about the tech wanting $30 to clean, adjust HB's, set it up, new strings etc.
    He was use to getting it done for $12. Right:rolleyes:. Then go get it !

Wanting to do the amp help tweaking thing as a favor, enjoyment, experiment, fun, etc. is a different story all in itself. I love doing that.

But let's be real. It costs to take the time.

12. johnzias

johnzias Member

So you regularly see guys buy $600,000 guitars?

Of course, I will pay for it. OTOH, transferable warranties are hardly novel with many high end products. If a product is generally reliable, and it is sold during the warranty period, (I realize that in this case, it's lifetime), I would think that the goodwill benefit exceeds the wholesale cost of the benchwork. Anyway, YMMV.

I obviously want my amp to be running properly. I'd also like to have a good relationship with Bruno and if it costs me $$, so be it.

13. Tag

Funny thing....I sell 10-80K Landscaping designs ALL the time. Rip out all over grown shrubs, replace walkways, patios, etc, and plant all new material. Then the same people will argue, and turn down a once a year shrubtrimming/pruning for around $100-$500 per year to keep it in perfect shape, pretty much for lifetime. It makes NO sense.

Again, I am sure Tony will repair it at a VERY reasonable price, but have you talked to the original owner about the problem? what did they have to say?

I realize some are not able to do this, but this is why if you can in any way, play an amp before you buy it, its worth it. I buy all of my Brunos new now, because I know how great they sound, and I know I am keeping them. A lifetime warrantee is pretty incredible, although I very rarely have problems. The funny thing is that with all of me el cheapo production fenders and mesa's, I have never had a single problem! (bash away, these guys KNOW what they are doing IMO) With my boutiques, I have had many. (With my 4 brunos, only the reverb problem though)

14. johnzias

johnzias Member

I pulled the chassis, but what the hell do I know anyway?, LOL! (very clean work BTW!) I did notice that the tube socket in question is the only one where there is no wire attached to the two terminals on the right side of the socket FWIW.

While I certainly agree that it's always best to play an amp before you buy it, it's damn near impossible with Brunos unless I still lived in Metro NY. I first played an early Bruno at the Long Island Guitar Show in 1992. I was purchasing my '61 SGLP and played it through a Bruno. It blew me away!

This problem is obviously very minor, and looks like an easy fix.

15. 57special

57special Member

Since you received it in a state of disrepair, the person you bought it off should probably arrange to fix it gratis with Ken/Tony, as long as you cover shipping. If it's only two months old, so it's the right thing to do.
    Hopefuly you didn't hammer him too hard on the price, and the original owner will be in a compliant mood.

16. johnzias

johnzias Member

I'm not quite sure if it's in a state of disrepair, or a state of omission, LOL!
    Only Ken or Tony can answer that. The amp does work, if not with the PRO II enhancement.