Tone wise, what`s the difference?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kealiikai, Mar 19, 2003.

1. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

I`m ready for new tubes in my Mesa Dual Rec. So can someone tell me what tones you get out of EL34L. I`ve heard some samples but could barely notice any difference. Sound I`m after is more of a tight distortion, {METAL}.

2. jbird

jbird Member

kealiikai, I once changed over to the el34 tubes in my dual rec. I noticed most of all a tighter bass sound ( my bass player was happier ) and a more of that marshall type of grind to the mids and highs. Though I did have to turn my treble up more to get the highs I was missing. The clean sound I loved. I have since went back to the 6l6 tubes and liked my red channel much better which BTW is set to the modern setting. The high end I was missing was back along with all that low end, ( unfortunately for my bass player) so at this point I would say the 6l6 tubes for a metal sound, but dont be afraid to try something new, a different set of power tubes is almost like a whole different amp at a fraction of the cost. Good luck on your tone quest!

Jay

3. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Cool. I think I`ll just get the JJ intergrated quads. I got my tubes pulled for 50watts, so that way I can try both and see which ones I like.:)

4. Wastegate

Wastegate Guest

Redmax (Robin) runs EL34's in his Dual Recto as well.

5. redmax61

redmax61 Member

Hey kealiikai, sorry I'm so slow to pipe up here, I don't get over to this side quite as much as I used to . . .

I am running a set of EL-34's and a set of THD Yellowjackets in mine at the same time. My brother (GruvSyco) got them for Christmas for me last year. This is a quick version of what I found in my quest for tone:

I first changed my amp over to the THD Yellowjackets. If you are not familiar with them, they are EL-84's in specially made sockets that fit directly in where a 6L6/EL-34 would normally go. They convert the amp to Class A operation. The sound of the YJ's by themselves was not my cup of tea, they removed the harshness, but they weren't quite as tight as I was looking for. I'm into that big fat high gain sound. They don't sound bad at all, just not what I was looking for.

Second, I changed to the EL-34's. The buzziness associated with Recto amps was gone. The amp took on a fatter, rounder tone that really opened up. Still not quite what I was looking for, though.

EL-34's AND YJ's. All I can say here is OMG!! The amp took on a whole new life. It has the best of everything. It has the big fat EL-34 girth, with the brightness of the YJ's, without the 6L6 buzziness/harshness. This is exactly what I have been looking for. The tone is HUGE. Just ask anyone who has heard any of the recordings that I've done lately. I still can't believe it myself!

IMHO, if you are looking for METAL tone, this is it!

Good luck on your tone quest!

6. redmax61

redmax61 Member

BTW, feel free to email me if you want a .wav file sample of what the amp sounds like with any of the setups I mentioned.

7. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Red, where did you get those tubes from? Like the intergrated quads, don`t they have to be of the same {?} <I forgot that word ? Thanks for you guys for all your views, very helpfull.

8. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Try Bob Pletka over at Eurotubes for the JJ's - he's got some really fair pricing, and is able to do some pretty good matching. He's a big JJ promoter, so you should be able to find what you want there.
    http://www.eurotubes.com
    I've been happy with the JJ's in my Mark IV, but haven't personally tried them, yet in the Rectifier. I thought the EL-34's were too "indistinct" in the Rectifier, to my tastes; I went back to the 6L6's (currently using, and liking Svet's, FWIW, in the Dual Rec). I'd go with Lord Valve (http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve), for the Svet's, if you go that route. Lord Valve usually has an email catalogue available, with a farily good cross-section of tubes, with discriptions of the tonal variations, if that's of interest.