Tone Zone by dimarzio.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rjpilot, Jan 27, 2012.

1. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I recently put brand new pickups in an old guitar. I remember a long time ago I owned a flying V with a tone zone in it and really like the sound of it. I could not warm up to the V shape however.

Fast FWD... An old Heartfield Talon I had needed an overhaul so I picked up a Tone Zone, True Velvet Mid, and an air norton for the neck. I wired it up with a brand new pickguard from pickguard heaven. I like the sound of the norton and the TV but I find the TZ to be a very bass heavy. In fact more than I would have thought possible. I can deal with the bass when I'm in position 1 but split at position 2 is very dark. I want to brighten that up. I just did the re-wire last night and the strings are old so that might have something to do with it. Any suggestions? A different bridge pickup? Adding components?

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

They have huge bass ... mine worked well in my PRS, but I eventually got sick of it, I wanted a more refined bass, more focussed voicing. I changed to an AT-1, which I'm happy with, but can't say it's all that similar other than also being geared for high gain tones.

4. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Yeah I was thinking the Evo2. I should have trusted the tone chart from dimarzio instead of my nostalgia about my old TZ equipped flying V. ...add to it that I had just had an epiphany about my tone being too bright. I thought I wanted a little more bass. I definitely got more bass; perhaps a tad too much.

5. b2sc

b2sc Member

I'm a recent fan of the TZ after picking up a Charvel SoCal which it comes stock in the bridge position.

I liked it so much in that guitar, I bought another to try in a LP project (with a Floyd, so this mofo is a rocker). It kills in this guitar. Yes, it's bass heavy but I'm digging it. It's also pretty articulate with high gain while maintaining an organic sound to it.

Granted, I don't know a lot of the tonal qualities of modern pickups and i'm sure I could fine tune an exact sound if i had the time and $ but I've been very happy with the TZ so far in superstats and LP styles.

6. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Ya know I'm warming up to it as a humbucker but in the split position with the middle pickup it just lacks the sparkle I was hoping for. I guess I need to come to terms with the fact that a split bucker does not make for the sweetest single coil.

7. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

+1 on the AT-1. A lot of people refer to the AT-1 as a cleaned up TZ.

8. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

tone zone is dark. yeah, i'm sure changing to a 500k (if it's not 500k already) or 1meg pot might help a little, but it's still a dark pickup.

Dunno about an evo 2. I have one in a superstrat and it's pretty bright. going that way might just be lurching from one extreme to another. not much point in being so keen on getting away from "too dark" that you just end up with "too bright" :rotflmao

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

I actually had the evo neck with the TZ bridge, was a real nice match ... the evos are quite rounded, I think it makes a good neck for huuuuge lead tones up the neck, too mellow for anything down the neck. Not sure if I'd like the bridge, but you never know.

Switching to the AT-1, I went with the Bluesbucker neck ... another good match and they are voiced bright enough to play all over the neck.

10. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

yeah the evo neck and bridge are quite different, i think.

11. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Fred is a good bridge p/u.

12. scolfax

scolfax Member

ToneZone is a great match for my RG w/ Edge trem. Seems made for it actually.

Tried decreasing the pickup height at all?

13. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

TZ are best with Floyds, long scale, maple neck superstrats. They kill in these type guitars when playing with higher gain tones.

14. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Backed the bass away and seems to have cleared up the mud. Still clunky in the quack position with cleans. Seems brighter with gain. Go figger. Funny you mentioned that about the rg because I copied the rg prestige pickup wiring and the guitar in question is an early 90s fender answer to the rg.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  15. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

I prefer the D-Sonic

16. evildik

evildik Member

Not to highjack the thread, but has anyone tried the single coil sized Tone Zone T in a tele? I've got one ready to install but haven't gotten around to getting it wired up yet.

17. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I just tried a Tone Zone in my number #2 SG. It might now be my number one! It certainly worked perfectly in this particular guitar. I had been using Super Distortions. My #1 SG was just about perfect but in my #2 SG it was just harsh and brittle. The two guitars are much closer now but with just enough of a subtle difference to make it fun to switch back and forth. I honestly feel that every guitar needs its own perfect match. If yr guitar seems a bit harsh on the highend I recommend the Tone Zone.

18. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

^ Yeah, the guitar affects things a lot. I've had a tone zone for a while in a lag mahogany superstrat, and it's quite dark-sounding (I have it tuned to Eb which doesn't help, also the TZ has a cover); I recently got a NOS MIJ Charvel Pro Mod So Cal, which has an uncovered TZ (and no tone knob) and you'd almost think it was a different pickup it sounds so different.

19. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

+1

The FRED is a great pickup. It sounds great clean as well as dirty. Nice pronounced mids, not too bright, and enough bass to make it grunt when you dig in hard. It's actually very similar to the AT-1 but with slightly less output and bottom end.

20. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I found the TZ to only be good for quite heavy OD.
    At that point enough harmonics are being generated by the od so the balance is restored.
    They sound quite crappy clean.