1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tonebone Classic midrangey

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mbratch, Mar 5, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I have a Tonebone Classic. Some great tones to be had, for sure, but I find it has a very noticable midrange emphasis, even with the midrange boost switch all the way down. I wish it had a midrange knob (it has bass and treble). Anyone else find this so?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I thought it was pretty even sounding with the switches on flat eq's.... Maybe try the high end switch to bright, see if that tames the mid emphasis. I do have to admit, it can sound pretty tube screamer'ish on low drive and the +7 mid hump. But with my Paul and the higher gains with the mid switch on even, it's pretty sick.... Very wide range of tones from this pedal....

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Depends on which amps you match it with . They were designed, I believe, for non-midrangy Fenders, so that's why your finding probably . I always have used it on Bright vs the other settings. That to me works with the amps I use it with, and then I find it great. I can't use the mid boosts at all, but without them I find the mids just great. Once again , though , my disclaimer is every single od and distortion pedal I have , HAS to match the amps they're used with . That one kicks ass with some Fenders I have, an Orange or120 ,a Demeter, an Engl Screamer, etc. GOOD LUCK

ERIC

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

My only problem with the TB Classic is the damn mid switch. It sounds fine to me flat, but at times you need a bit of a mid boost to cut through a live band. I just wish the mid bumps were more subtle like 2db and 5db. I mean, 12db is pretty extreme...I think I might send an email ti Radial about this...

5. ericb

You should send that email .. .+2 and+ 5 would be MUCH BETTER, along with a -3 (or in that vicinity) . Then it'd be ultimate..

ERIC

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Personally I think that they should dump the Mids switch and add a pot for the mids so you can dial in only what you need.

7. ericb

ABSOLUTELY Agree , but then I changed my mind and edited my "Absolutely agree" post!!! HERE's WHY: LOTS of guitarists think amps or pedals like this are complicated.. It's sorta funny to me, BUT it's a reality. They've never read a manual for an Ensoniq dp4+ or an Eventide that's for sure! BUT, back to my point.. Another pot makes another knob that many guitarists JUST DON'T understand. A simple switch with MINUS's and PLUS' for MIDS is simple as can be , OR if you go the 'pot' route, , there should be a detent for 0. With that detent for 0 , I TOTALLY agree with the Mids Pot!

ERIC

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Whats up Eric!

Maybe the next Rev of Tonebones they can make more useable changes! Oh well its still a great sounding pedal.

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I personally find the classic very easy to use, but most times most of my setting for the gain low and mid are just about 12 o'clock, the knob I tweak with the most is the filter knob. I have mine set to flat, mids at 7db and gain at high.

For amps, I use mostly fender amps at home, though both of them are SS amps, a small fender bronco, which I call my night time amp and a 60 watt Stage 112 SE I call my day time amp. The tones I get from this pedal are amazing. I run the classic straight into the clean channel of the amp.

I usually find a nice setting on the classic and tweak my midrange via the amp eq controls. I do agree that the absence of a mid knob is a slight setback, but honestly this is a GREAT DIST pedal! :)

I even played it on a Marshall AVT stack at the studio during a jam the other with my band. Really great tones.

10. ericb

How ya doin! Just typing to you guys from Massachusetts, makes me really miss the Boston area and all the concerts and shows I like to see down there! Maybe soon , as spring's in the air. Yep , I'd hope to think they would be receptive to changes with these pedals and revise them, as they were designed in the 80's way before they were released in the 90's. They were designed for 1 purpose to make a 2nd channel on a Fender-type amp. Plus there was really not much competition, and that's why when I heard the pedal in the 90's and wrote to Denis and told him/pleaded with him to market it again , I had thought there was a great market for it. Now , although I still think they're awesome pedals, after owning a zillion pedals I can find weaknesses in every single pedal I own . That's probably neurotic, but tis the truth for me!!! I think with the Classic if you added that VARIABLE MIDS pot like you're saying , AND kept a CENTER 0db detent, I think it'd be KILLER. OF course if they could do it 1/2 size and without external 15volt power, it'd put every other distortion pedal out of business to me, but not the case.

I also love the MI Audio pedals, but none of the 4 I own are enough to make me sell either Tonebone, or a few of my Backstepper modded Boss sd1's and ds1's ,etc (his are WAY better to me than the Analog man , or Keeley versions I've owned)

There's SO MANY great pedals and amps these days that it's rediculous!

ERIC

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

Don't get me wrong. I think the pedal sounds great. But sometimes I don't want the extra mids it *always* adds regardless of where the mid switch is set. That switch, to me, seems to mean: some, a lot, and over-the-top.

I don't think having a -3db on that switch, or a mids knob in it's place, is all that complicated for any guitarist. Everyone knows what a mids knob does and doesn't need a manual to figure it out.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I think the mids are perfect, about unity with the amp the pedal's plugged into. That's what I dig about the TB C. That said, I too wouldn't mind being able to pull some mids out. But it's not a huge issue to me. If I need to have less mids, I plug in my Menatone KOTB. Recently though I started using a Boss GE-7 Eq which I can make up for most pedal eq problems. BUT, I know most would probably rather have the pedal perfect as is...

13. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I sent the email to Radial this morning, with a link to this thread. I'll let ya'll know if/when they get back to me.

14. JackC

JackC Member

I've always found the TB Classic to be pretty flat in the mids. I would love to be able to add just a touch of mids, but you just can't do it with those switches.

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I just sent an email to Brian at Indyguitarist.com just to see if there's something he can do...

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I think that the poster who suggested boosting the treble and low knobs had a great idea. This should work for giving you a less mid-dy sound, though probably not the perfect solution

17. ericb

Hey , I don't think it ADDS mids , when set with the mids flat , at all. WITH every single amp I use it with I use the bright setting and the bass cranked up at least til 2:00 so maybe that's why. Also , it surely is self-explanatory ,but you're posting this on a forum with thousands of guitarists.. If you read the amp forum for awhile, you'll see that many of these guys ONLY buy amps with a few knobs on them.. SERIOUSLY.. The reason being , they want everything to be pre set for them, and I routinely read comments of "wow there's way too many knobs on that thing". I know dozens of guitarists in real life away from the net, if not over 100 and many have NO CLUE how to comprehend algorithms, parameters, or just merely KNOBS.. IT's amazing but reality. Meanwhile, yes if this pedal had 'Variable mids" on top of the FIltering and the other adjustable parameters, it would be just beautiful for 90% of the distortion-seeking folks out there I'd have to think , BUT those variable mids would need to be able to subtract as well as add.

Have a good one! ERIC

18. mbratch

mbratch Member

That hasn't been my experience with the pedal, for whatever reason. It seems to have some mid boost even at the lowest mid setting.

19. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

No luck with Radial... Still waiting to hear back from Brian at IndyGuitarist.com.

Hey there,

I love my Tonebone classic, I think it's one of the best out there. My
    question is regarding the mid switch. The existing design is a bit to
    extreme to be useful for me, I was wondering if there is any way to
    change the amount of boost to something like +2 and +5? Or even better, would
    be -3, flat, and +2. Great pedal either way.
    This email was inspired by a discussion on The Gear Page:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=136240

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris.
    For now there are no plans to change the mid switch operation.

Best regards,
    Corey Phillips
    National Customer Service

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

don't let the email get you too down. Radial is run by a buncha great guys, and your email may very likely be one of the proverbial straws on the camels back