ToneBone Classic Switch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Jul 2, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I love my TB Classic. I've yet to get any boutique pedal to bump it off my board.

However, the switch contiues to be a PIA. The great folks at Radial sent me a replacement a about 18 months ago and I did the replacement. It's been going bad for months now with the same intermittant problem and again Radial sent me another replacement - which is very, very good of them.

Here's the question: is there a better grade switch than the stock Radial-supplied switch so that I only have to do this replacement one more time??

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Gulliver. Is this switch different than the stock Radial switch??

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Yeah the switches Tonebone uses suck that seems to be the only negative as far as reliability goes, I've replaced them on some tonebones. The only hard part is getting a good switch that can drop right in but I have not found one yet.
    I have a bunch of Carling 316P DPDT switch's they are not as deep as the original and they have to be hardwired in as oposed to directly soldered to the circuit board but these switches will outlast any Tonebone switch!

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey J.
    Have you actually hardwired Carlings into any of your TBs? If so, can you offer any advice??

BTW, which TB are you using now, if any? I believe you might hold the record for the number of TB's owned at one time/another by one player!!

6. jlagrassa

Yeah I have wired that switch in just need to take your time and run 6 wires from the board to switch, it should be the last time you will need to replace it.

I still prefer the Classic although the Trimode is a very good, Yeah I have been through plenty of Tonebones but I always keep grabbing the classic because I know it sounds good. My problem is everytime I want new pedals I sell stuff that I have...... I have to stop that but so far the Classic and the OCD are holding its ground!

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

J:
    You offered your advice to me months ago regarding your selling/buying habits. So far, I have held on to my front runners (Zen, BB, RC, Balance, Mos, etc), but I have a Z2, an Eternity and a Tim all coming in the next few weeks/months, and I'll have to let some stuff go. I've also considered selling off most of my pedals except the essential ones, which would provide funds for a new amp - so I may go that way as well.

Thanks also for the advice re: the TB switch. I'll probably just buy a Carling and spend the time to wire it up.

8. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Very timely info guys, my Hot British switch just started giving me problems. I'll hard wire a new switch.
    Question for the classic guys, I love the hot rodded Marshall of the HB and especially the tight low end that I've not found on any other pedal. However, I find that I barely crack open the gain. Is the Classic in have the same tone but with a different (less) gain structure than the HB?

9. jlagrassa

No the Classic sounds a bit different more of an american flavor than British, the Classic is much more versatile than the HB and the Classic can still get very heavy tones if needed!

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use a Hot Brit (and an OD pedal for lower gain tones). The Hot British may just be the most versatile one trick pony ever made!

I tried out a Classic in the store and was very impressed with it. If you can only have one dirt pedal, you could do much worse than the classic.

I also had my Hot Brit switch crap out on me. Sent it into Radial and they replaced it for me. They also polished it and cleaned the pots, making it like new, all for free. Great customer service!

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

The tonebone's switch is OK! All mechanical switches will have a error percentage -defective. The Radial switch is the only one that will fit into the PCB board. BTW the StageHog, Zendrive, BJF, Maxon Od-9 or 820, BB-pre, Tim will all KILL a ToneBone classic on harmonic definition, and clarity. The BB pre, BJF OD/Dist pedals, Zen, Stagehog will KILL the Tonebone on versatilty of tonal options along-esp the StageHog.
    I have the tonebone for that meaty boss- DS-1 sound which can be fun but it can't hold a candle to these others for natural interaction with your amp ( esp a high end tube amp), and chaining pedals.... IMO

12. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

wow my classic has also intermittent switch problems, sometimes when you stomp on it you only get a faint signal when the effect is on. I love the pedal but it does seem to me there is a real problem w/ those switches. I've gotten a pot from radial for free that needed to be replaced and have to say that they have good customer service,but maybe the switch issue should be addressed as it seems they have a unusually large occurance of failure! I still would recommend any of their products though.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Interesting, I have a couple of these pedals (BB, Zen) and while I love 'em, I hear the TB differently than you. For me, the TB totally smokes these on the versatility front as it can do a more useful light OD and has waaaayyyy more gain than either and has (for me!) the most believable harmonic structure for distortion. Pushed very slightly by a Lovepedal Balance the TB screams/howls even at a conversation level.

I agree that both the Zen and the BB can be more transparent and I like them for that. But the TB has the permanent spot on my board for thick, endless sustain, EJ-like tone. Everything else seems to come/go.

I'd love to try a StageHog someday as it's reported to be a killer, but man, it's pricey!!

14. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Hey Billy K, I think the DRD has tons of gain! I haven't bought the BB pre yet. I DO like the colored sound of the Toneclassic as I think it is the evolution of what a DS-1 should have sounded like. The only thing I don't like is that it really isn't true bypass. It IS darn close, but after sampling off/on with a seymour anyiquity single coil in my georgefullerton vintage signature G&L, I noticed that when the switch was bypassed that that high was considerably robbed as compared to when directly plugging straight to the amp itself, but no biggy. The Stage Hog is DAMN pricy, but I really love it as it is my MAIN pedal or amp ( if a pluggin into a cab) ALWAYS. The Stage Hog also loves every pedal I have used it with, personally favoring the TIM, or my VERY PRICY George Lynch TMB ( hand wired -38 or so in the world-, and of course the Stagehog makers' FMD full range or treble boost handwired pedal. Ya know, it is funny, every pedal I have I really dig, but using any pedal after using the Stage Hog, makes those pedals sound like a small pedal sound excluding the GL TMB, FMD or other high quality boosts -since they are boosts. I would still love to compare the Mesa V pedal to my tonebone and try the crunch box or the pablo picasso (full range boost). The super 2 n 1, as I recall was crazy, buta little noisy. ayway, gotta sleep!

15. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've been using a Tonebone Classic for years now, and never had a problem with it (knock on wood?). However, I'm super-gassed for a Zendrive now! I borrowed one from a friend to use for a weekend gig, and the moment I turned it on, my jaw hit the floor! It had such a rich harmonic structure, and HUGE bottom end. It also cleans up well - I had all the knobs at 1 o'clock. I used it through my Boogie Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig. Sounded HUGE.

I still love my Tonebone - it sounds great, but a Zendrive is on my list now. They take a long time to get, with the enormous demand for them.

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

oxtone:
    I love my Zen. But here's another example of how subjective tone is: for me, the Zen is a middy pedal, it actually cuts the low end, in my experience. So does the TB - even when you dial in more "Bass" it seems to be voiced at a higher freq in the bass range.

17. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hello Tonebone users,
    I have a question for you.If you like Hendrix,play through a strat and a plexi, which tonebone model is for you, the classic or the hot british?
    Thanks..I always wanted to ask that question.
    Best to all,
    Mass

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Classic will give you a relatively more hendrixy sound than the Hot Brit. Don't know if the Classic is THE pedal for Hendrix, though

19. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I am on a endless hunt, kinda driving me loopy.
    What would you say to an OCD and a Fulltone 69'?
    Thanks,
    Mass

20. gulliver

gulliver Member

I friend of my lent me his '69 last week, I appreciate it, but too dark and too much farty distortion on the low end for my uses. I compared it to my Frantone Brooklyn, which is like a half and half fuzz/overdrive. I liked the Brooklyn much better. Then Brooklyn is bright and transparent, I can run a TS pedal (stacked) before it and it adds that over the top, almost exploding amp and speakers tone. Because it's voiced so bright, you can use the neck and #2 positions on a Strat without muffling out. I wouldn't say it's Hendrix dead on, but pretty close for just dialing in pedals.