Tonebone Classic vs. Burn Unit EQ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tolstoy, Oct 19, 2005.

1. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

I'm looking for a medium gain dirt box to produce my more rockin' moments. No metal here, probably the highest gain I get would be AC/DC or the occational Green Day Cover.

I just traded off my Barber DDSS, which I liked, but wished it was a little smoother and had a little more tone control.

I originally had my heart set on the Tonebone, but I just keep looking and the Burn Unit EQ caught my eye.

Any comments on their flexibility, control, what kind of ground they can cover, and how realistic the sound (ie. how the meld with the amp thier plugged into).

Tolstoy

2. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

sad to say, I owned both and found one to be fuzzy and the other buzzy...or was it the other way around....

whatever, SIB Varidrive kicked their collective butts :dude
    (IMO, ymmv, etc. etc.)

3. steeeve

steeeve Member

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm not sure if I understand the definition of smooth or if there is a universally agreed upon definition.

Are AC/DC's and Green Day's tones considered smooth? To me, smooth is like Allan Holdsworth and Eric Johnson.

Sorry, I'm confused.

4. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

Forgive me, I know It's hard to describe a sound with words.

What I mean is, a sound that is gainy and crunchy...without the fizzy hair that permiates the upper registers and the midrange.

Tolstoy

5. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

HomeBrew Big D might work for ya. Varidrive is great too as mentioned above, if you can find one. They haven't been made for over a year now. (I have the #1 first ever prototype Varidrive, kind of cool). You might like the Menatone Howie pedal as well.

6. Sean Doty

Sean Doty Member

I've owned both...of the two, I preferred the Burn Unit (a pedal I still regret selling actually).

But, from the two bands you listed, and if you want to stay with Tonebone, I'm wondering if the Hot British would be more to your liking just based on its voicing....(I find it has a little too much gain for my taste, however, but it will get you to Green Day in spades IMHO).

7. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

You know, I used to have the Hot British, and I liked it, but I never had the gain above 9 or 10 o'clock....seemed like a bit of waste to have all that extra gain on tap w/o any use for it.

When I say Green Day, I'm using that as an extreme. I spend most of my time in blues bassed classic rock with the occational stint into a little heavier duty topping out around Green Day.....but not offten.

Right now my rig includes

Warmoth thinline tele w/humbuckers-->Barber LTD-->BYOC Fully Loaded Chorus-->Digiverb-->'67 Bassman Head-->Marshall 1965 4x10" Slant Cab

Any other suggetions anyone might add...I'm going through a pedal and cab makover and hope to add another dirt box, mabee a compressor, and a delay.

Tolstoy

8. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

apples and pretzels

i use the tonebone classic on a ton of my clips....very nice in an authentic tube preamp way

barber pedals have a richness associated with the tube sound, but can eliminate that part of the equation too and get more lean and mean than the classic.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

tolstoy, I'd imagine the LTD with a good boost pedal would serve all your blues needs, no?

Anyhow, why not try a Tonebone Tri-mode? from what I've gathered, it's a more versatile Classic

10. Kennyp54

Kennyp54 Member

I have:

1) Barber Burn Unit EQ - Clean distortion. Supposedly, Dumble-esque. Don't know about that but it is a clean distortion. Very useable in different applications. Very complimentary to the S.I.B. or ToneBone Classic. They are VERY different. It is an articulate pedal and at first I didn't think I liked it, but....when I started thinking I would discontinue using it I found I couldn't.

2) ToneBone Classic - Good overall pedal but hard to dial in for me. Always struggling to find the sweetspot. It's for sale because I bought an S.I.B. Varidrive.

3) S.I.B. Varidrive - Class A, straight tube path, unlike the ToneBone which is a hybrid SS design warmed up by a 12AX7. Not a straight, true tube signal path. The Varidrive is much more open, airy and more dynamic. The newer pedal (Black Version) with the gain switch on the side adds flexibility to earlier models. Would've been nice to have it on top as a footswitch. Sometimes a little finicky with the Volume control and tone controls, but still very much worth a listen.

4) Mesa Boogie V-Twin Pedal - OK. Mesa-ish distortion. You either like it or you don't. Mine serves as a cookie cutter backup pedal. Can be run direct to the PA since it is a preamp. Not a first choice as a dedicated OD/Distortion pedal. Kinda muddy sounding. Cleans up a bit with 12AT7's.
    Summary: The S.I.B. is the best OD pedal I've found yet. Versatile, natural, and an open, airy and real sound. The Barber Burn Unit EQ is the other OD pedal on my board and compliments the S.I.B. well..

Been wanting to check out a Burriss Boostiest and HBE Powerscreamer. Anyone hear either of these?

11. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Where did you find that Varidrive? Is anyone selling them new still? I am a dealer for SIB and get asked for them all the time but they have not been made for quite a while now and it will be anywhere from 3-6 months before they are available again. I have a few people looking for them so if anyone is still selling them new I'd like to point them in the right direction.

The PowerScreamer is great by the way. I love that pedal. Basically think Vintage TS-808 and TS-9 tones but warmer, bigger and less artificial. That and more verstatile as well.

12. Kennyp54

Kennyp54 Member

I found my Varidrive used. It is the newer generation Black pedal with the gain switch on the side. I was not aware that they are currently not available from the manufacturer. They are shown as a current product on the manufacturers website. Good luck.

http://www.smfamps.com/sib.htm

13. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I tried both, I prefer the Clay Jones by far:D

14. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've been using the Tonebone Classic with my Mesa Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig, and I prefer it over the Boogie overdrive. The Classic is the best distortion pedal I've used in 35 years of playing guitar. It sounds, to my ears, like a good tube amp, and cleans up like a good tube amp. It responds to my pick attack very well. I've used it on backline gigs, and it always comes through.

The only way to know is to try it with your amp.

15. Kennyp54

Kennyp54 Member

I agree with Oxtone in that the only way to know is to try it with your equipment, preferably in a live application.

I've been reading about the Clay Jones pedal that Homerayvaughn was referring to, and the Zen drive pedal. These are two that I need to explore. I checked out the Zen on the website. Clips sound great. Truthfully, it would probably be easy to have about 20 OD/Dist pedals and get 20 different sounds. In the end, you gotta choose a few or have a pedal board that takes up the whole stage. I've been using a Triaxis rack setup for over ten years until about 6 months ago. I gotta admit it was easier. One button on my footcontroller and everything hooked up together changed via midi. Now I'm back to tap dancing but I'm diggin' the tones I'm getting. Now I'm buying/trying pedals like crazy. Sounds like two more have just been added to the list.