ToneBone "classic" vs. Butler Audio "Tube Driver"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, May 14, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Hello Guys I'm glad were back online! Anyone heard or tried both of these pedals? What did you think? Which did you prefer? and why? --Thanks

2. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Can't compare 'em, sorry, but I will start the feedback by offering that the ToneBone Classic has bumped many sought-after "boutique" distortion pedals off my board in the past two years! With vintage Fender amps and single coils, the TB kills IMO.

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have both. The Tone Bone is far more versatile, the newer hand wired Tube Drivers pretty much do one thing but to me that one thing is pretty good, as in old school plexi overdrive.

4. gpro34

gpro34 Member

anyone else hear the "classic"?

5. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Yep, I have one too, and agree with what BillyK had to say. Great with a single coil / Fender amp combination, and very transparent.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Played through mine tonight... it still is the best sounding overall distortion I've ever heard. If you want classic OD tones this isn't for ya. But if you want a real versitile, realistic pre-amp in a pedal it's amazing. It has a nice clear presense that no other pedal I've heard has.

If someone could have just one pedal, I'd probably recommend the TB Classic. :AOK

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

What Aaron said.

8. david henman

david henman Member

...same here. i have the trimode and the hot british. that's it for o/d pedals for me, for now.

-dh

9. RickB

RickB Member

I have both of them. I agree with what has already been said. FWIW, the BK Tube Driver is on my board though and my ToneBone's are in the closet. I could never get quite satisfied with the mid range on the ToneBone's. They would benefit from a mid knob versus a switch. The Tube Driver doesn't have a mid control but it is just the right frequencies to me. I like the Tube Driver for stacking other pedals into it. It also sounds great with the gain cranked. I don't care for it though on its own as a lower gain pedal. For that, I'd have to say go with the ToneBone.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've just recently re-aquired the Dean Markley Overlord I sold to my sone 10 years ago. It's basically the Tube Driver with perhaps a hair more gain. Compared to the TB it does only high gain well, not clean, not mild boost, not roll off the guitar volume to clean it up. It does high gain very well, though, kind of a brown sound in a pedal. So, for maximum flexibility, I'd go with the TB.