1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tonebone Classic vs. Hot British

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Allroy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Allroy

Allroy Member

I am thinking of getting a Tonebone, but I am not sure which one. I have read lots of posts about them, but the posts seem conflicting (i.e., Hot Brit for more gain; Classic has the same gain). I have a solid state amp and like to play all kinds of music. What do you guys think?

http://www.tonebone.com/index.htm

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

the classic is very versatile and can do pretty much all your gain needs that you'd want. The Hot British is great for high gain tones, but not able to do mid or low gain

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

What do I think??

Well, I still think the Classic is the best all around *distortion* made. It is quite versitile. Without the mid boost engaged, it has midrange nearly identical to your amp. So it matches most amps pretty well. With more scooped mid type amps (fender twin's) the mid boost(s) are great. The EQ is quite flexible, the high's can be quite attenuated or quite boosted. The lows likewise. Gain wise, I can see how anyone could ever need more gain than the classic set to the second gain level and drive topped out. (lot's of gain)

The Hot British may have more gain, but I don't think it's near as versitile. It has a bit heavier tone (hot rodded modern marshall), but with the right amp settings the classic can get you a pretty heavy tone.

I'd get it...:AOK

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I think I need one of these or something like it for a few tunes...Can the TB Classic be run with a semi-dirty amp? I'm running an Allen Old Flame and using the raw and preamp controls to get some OD from the amp. I also use a Tophat Club Royale on occasion...

I've been curious whether these need to see a clean amp or if they can work with OD.

To throw a monkey wrench into the mix, can the Classic be compared to the V-Stack Classic?

5. Goku13

Goku13 Member

I own both a Classic and Hot British and have to mostly agree with what has been said here.

The Classic is a great pedal with thick gain, though it seems a little muddy on the low E string. Unless you are playing metal, it has enough gain and tone shaping for most "rock."

The Hot British has a different tonality to it...almost like a wah wah pedal set half way or something....a little more nasal than the Classic, which totally rocks if you like that sorta thing...the Classic has a more "round" sound, which I didn't want, so I use the Hot British. Even if you turn the gain down on the HB, it still has this sinister "rock your balls" sound, so it isn't as appropriate for lower gain stuff, although it cleans up very nicely with the volume knob on my PRS McCarty.

They are both awesome pedals....you just gotta pick up the one that works for you (likely the Classic, from what I inferred from the original post).

6. Allroy

Allroy Member

Thanks. This is the most knowlegdeable forum. I have been playing mostly metal lately-not nu metal. I like prog-metal and have been playing some Dream Theater and Ozzy. I am looking for a tone that is full, has lots of sustain, and is clear and articulate while distorted.

7. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

I had both. The Classic is more versatile and can go from lower gain settings to pretty high gain - more than you would expect. The HB is all high gain. I always called it a Marshall in a box. I think they work better into a clean channel. Both have very cool flexible EQ options that enable you to get some great sounds. The Classic is definitely a distortion pedal though and is not an overdrive oedal. They both work off of a 15V adapter - you cannot use batteries. The pedals are also both fairly large. I think both are great pedals. They have come down in price for a new pedal to $190 (originally were $230). You can pick them up used for about $100-120.

8. david henman

david henman Member

...i have the (classic) trimode and the hot british. as others have mentioned, the classic is far more versatile. that said, i could not live without the high gain "chunk" of the hot british.

and, as others have suggested, both pedals work best through a clean amp.

-dh

9. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I had a Hot British originally, my stepbrother got a Classic. We got together and A/Bed them back and forth. The Hot British has about twice the gain than the Classic does. It was WAY too much for me, it also was a bit 'fuzzier' and had a big mid-hump that didn't want to be dialed out.

So I ended up swapping the HB for the Classic. It was just alot more use-able and was better suited for mid-gain stuff. I've had the switch replaced a couple times BTW...Raidial has always been cool to deal with though.

If you want a more tweakable mid gain pedal go with the Classic - If you want over-the-top, somewhat nasally OD, on the verge of distortion/fuzz, go with the Hot British.

I haven't been using mine much lately since I got an OCD though. I like the Tonebone alot, but it has a bit too much compression for my tastes.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For the record, I love my HB. I have a DGTM for lower gain sounds (which I also love), and the HB is perfect to me for hi gain rock tones. In terms of over the top high gain (still with clear note articulation), I find it to be one of the smoothest pedals ever for that kinda application. I also agree with someone who mentioned the "cocked-wah" type sound.......While not as overt as actually cocking a wah, it definitely has that kinda quality to it (which I love. Basically, if you like Slash from Guns n Roses tone, you'll love this pedal).

11. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I just picked up a classic and haven't had it that long but my initial inpression is very positive. It has all the gain I'll need and I especially like the mid switch. You can add a mid hump like you'd get with a tubescreamer, even more if you'd like, or remove it and have the pure tone of your guitar come through.
    This is a great pedal!

12. highasakite

highasakite Member

I own the Classic and did recently try out the Hot British. They have some similarities soundwise, in that both are not very transparent and takes over the original tone. Someone wrote about added compression, which is interesting and might just be it. I´ve never used compression on its own, but there clearly is some dimension added to the tone, which make it sound bigger, rounder, sweeter. A singing quality. Once engaged you´re stuck with it, but the distortion sounds much less like a simulation compared to cheaper pedals I´ve tried. Like for example the Boss BD-2, which I found much harder to get a good rythm sound with. Yes, the british is slightly different, maybe "nasal", I don´t know, couldn´t AB them. But you will recognise a similar type of voice in both.

I find that the treble and bass need to be around 2 o clock to match the amp and not sound too thin. And with the Classic the filter knob is disengaged furthest to the right clockwise, and starts cutting the hi freq as turned left.

Even with the distortion level at zero on the Hot British the amount is already too much for say an AC/DC tone. I forgot to try this setting with the guitars volume knob rolled off a bit. That might just do the trick if you´re after that tone. Angus is supposed to have the guitars volume around 7 in most cases.

I´ve only found use for the Classic on gain stage 1 for my taste, and at zero I would say it´s disengaged and usable as booster, giving some transparency between zero and 9 o clock. Usually I´m just below 9 up to 10 o clock, where the picking attack gives excellent control over the distortion. Past 12 o clock another level of saturation is kicked in.

Stage 2 and 3 gives a more modern edge to it that I think sound less musical. It´s supposed to use the Bassman as a starting point (which Marshall also originates from) and I think it had been nice if it had sticked with emulating the Bassman and only used one gain stage.

The mid boost sounds sweet, but once engaged it makes your amp sound thin when going back to flat. I don´t like messing around with those switches, unless I have a clear picture of the sound in my head first.

In conclusion the Classic is a nice and well built pedal, with a bit of too many options for my taste, but they can be ignored and leave you with volume, hi, low and gain if you like. Make sure the tube sits firmly in its socket, or there can be irregular connection problems. I had this, and when opened up I found the tube could be pushed down a bit further, and since then there´s been no issues. Anyway, it´s a very cool thing, and while I prefer to get the sound from the guitar, amp and speakers only, I might just keep it for its mojo. Maybe it could be useful some day with a good solid state amp, who knows?

13. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I had the Classic but found that as much as it worked great for my solid state rig it did not find a home with my new dual channel tube amp rig.
    I found that having a Classic as well as another milder OD pedal cascaded very well and probably got into the same territory as the HB. I prefer options and flexibility (within reason!) and found that my Classic could step in as a tube screamer, a Fendery/Vox hybrid (love those Mike Campbell tones!) all the way to stacking it with my OD and getting an articulate 'muff' type sound suitable for Comfortably Numb solos...more about 'searing leads' rather than nu-metal chunk. If I ever went back to a solid state/modeling rig, I would definitely go back to the Classic. No bull.

14. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

Agree with what has been posted...

...and will add this: don't get caught up in the tube hype on these. As I recall, the tube is like the driver stage for the final EQ circuit. The distortion comes from 4558s....