1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tonebone Classic ~VS~ New Barber Direct Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ryan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

Who likes which one, and why? Tonal variations of each?

2. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Apples and oranges. The Direct Drive is more like a moddified Tube Screamer, while the Tonebone Classic is like the gain channel on a channel-switching tube amp. Both great pedals, it just depends on what you plan to use it for.

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I'm in the honeymoon phase with my new Direct Drive. I've spent a few hours with it at bedroom volume through my Traynor YCV20 (15 watt EL84).

I've set it for a good classic rock crunch tone (vol at unity, tone at noon, harmonics engaged, drive at noon) and it does the job well. Tons of sustain and pinch harmonics all over the fretboard. It's not transparent and I'm glad - I don't want it to be. So far I like it.

4. jec

jec Member

Not to hijack the thread, but my experience with direct drive was not tubescreamer-like at all.

It's really good at rhythm OD and fits the sterotypical "marshall in a box" sound very well. I eventually sold mine (2004 model) and plan on getting a newer model eventually.

5. fjs1962

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to suggest the Direct Drive sounds like a Tube Screamer, but that's the type drive it's derived from, and I feel like it's in the same family. To my ears it's more of a overdrive type pedal where the Tonebone Classic is more of a distortion. Like I said before, both are great depending on what you want.

6. David-R

+1
    Good description.

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

There both very good drives but the TB Classic is way more versatile and will also have much more gain if you need it! You can look into the Direct drive with the new add on boards Dave Barber is making which adds a whole lot more to that pedal!

8. David-R

It was your post of a clip of your Direct Drive through a Blues Jr. that prompted me to buy the pedal. Thanks!

9. jec

jec Member

Hilarious

10. fjs1962

Dave, Actually if you read what I posted (the part you quoted) I clearly said it is like a TS type drive. I never said it comes directly from the Tube Screamer. So you're telling me the Direct Drive has nothing in common with the many JRC4558 pedals on the market? If so then I stand corrected.

Still, I was just trying to help the original poster decide which pedal he wants, and I did say the Direct Drive was a great sounding pedal, didn't I? And I've bought 5 of the different variations of the pedal since it came out (every time I log on to the gear forums there seems to be a new version). So why do you feel you gotta bust my balls here?

;)

11. fjs1962

Thanks for clearing that up. I promise never to say any of your circuits are anything but your own so that your users don't get the wrong ideaand you don't have to explain the differences over the phone. :)

That said, I feel like whatever you did to come up with the Direct Drive created a pedal that (for me anyway) falls into the same functionality as a TS-9, FDII, Sprkledrive, etc. Even though it doesn't sound just like any of those (which is good or bad depending on your taste) it served the same purpose for me in my rig. Like I said before I owned 5 of them in one form or another, but in the end found that I like a couple of other pedals better so I no longer have any of them. Still, Like I said in the beginning, they were all great sounding pedals, especially for the price.

I still think comparing the Direct Drive to a Tonebone Classic is apples to oranges.

As for a Barber TS Clone for $99, why would anyone want that when they can just buy the real thing? ;)

12. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

A Direct Drive does not sound like a tubescreamer and its controls don't work anything like a tubescreamer so I don't understand the comparison.