Tonebone Classic Vs. OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mullet Kingdom, Jun 29, 2006.

Tonebone Classic or OCD?

1. Tonebone Classic

2. OCD (new or old version)

3. Both

4. Don't like either of them

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Looking for input from players who have gigged with both of these pedals and any pros or cons respective to both of them. Ultimately, I'm interested to know which pedal you like better and why.

2. Mullet Kingdom

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

tonebone Classic pwns the OCD.....

4. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

The OCD by miles, it's definitely the most amplike. The tonebone isn't bad, but sounds too smooth and processed imo.

Jan

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have both, and both have there benifets. The TB Classic is more versatile and has plenty of useable gain a lot more than the OCD. The OCD also does a great job at sounding just like a amp being cranked I used it last night at a open mic night and just used my guitars volume knob to control the gain. So for me they are both great to have!

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Mullet Man, this thread was a map out of the woods, you've just gone through some hoopla to get right back to where you started :AOK

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

My problem with the OCD is the bass at higher gain settings is just TOO much. Also, even the new version still doesn't have the right midrange.

But, the character of the clipping is great, along with the uncompressed nature.

All in all though, I still think the Tonebone Classic is the best all around distortion pedal made.

8. jlagrassa

i kind of agree with you, when I use the OCD I have to set my amp up to match well with the OCD but once the amp and OCD are set you can get great tones!

The TB Classic can be setup to compliment the amp, I hope Mike Fullers super lead pedal is going to be a modified version of the OCD it will have the seperate Bass mid and treble controls and that should make it easier to dial it in to your amp!

9. Mullet Kingdom

Well, if I decide to pass on the OCD and keep my Tonebone Classic it will be.

I haven't tried the OCD yet (local Fulltone dealer is out of stock) which is why I'm not going to add my vote in the poll or any comments regarding it -- until I have. ;)

Fair & Balanced, baby! :rotflmao :YinYang

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I used to own the TB but I felt that it was always a little honky especially on the neck pickup, also in the studio I felt that it couldn't really cut through. There's tonnes of gain on this pedal though, I think they should rename it and not call it classic which gives off several old school overdrive misconceptions. Changing the tube does improve the overall tone of the TB, the stock one if I remeber correctly is a Ruby, I changed mine to a JJ works very nicely.

I was tempted to try out a 12AT7 but the folks at Radial advised against it.

One problem with the TB Classic for me was the footswitch. Worked fine for a few months of usage but after that it started getting intermitant on me. Same thing with the Hot British which I had. But after a simple change at my local tech things were fine.

The OCD is more dynamic and has a very "in-your-face" kind of tone. As mentioned by most users here on tgp, it is very amp like. It even works very well as a boost both for cleans and distortions. I've been using it for a couple of months now, I've got the old version.

It's amazing, the tone is just so open and dynamic.

My vote goes to the OCD.

11. Mullet Kingdom

Interesting observation. What kind of rig are you using it with?

12. Sid

Sid Member

This comparison is difficult,I dont tend to put them in the same category:crazy

13. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

i agree... two completely different animals. the ocd is more transparent in my opinion. i personally have yet to find a pedal that uses a tube that i like a lot, and therefore never cared for the tonebone stuff, but that's just me.
    good luck - jv

14. Mullet Kingdom

Well, I'm thinking about dumping my Tonebone Classic in favor of an OCD -- so I started this poll to get some feedback -- which gives me something to do until I get actually go out and try one. :rolleyes:

At the time I bought the tonebone I needed a pedal that would give me a big, aggressive sounding crunch tone -- more aggressive than the Fulldrive II anyway.

I still need a pedal that can do chunky sounding power chords and a more saturated lead sound, but I'm not too enamored of the TB classic these days.

The TB classic seems to be sort of amp specific if you will -- insofar as it seems to work better with some amps than it does with others.

I've had my FD2 for just shy of 6 years and it's been my main OD for 5 of them -- so I don't really change very often when it comes to stuff like that. If I find something that works for me I tend to stick with it.

Any suggestions? :confused:

15. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Definately agree with you on this one.

My TB Classic went very well with clean fender amplifiers, I played it together with a Fender Twin at a local jam studio.

It was tone heaven!

16. jlagrassa

Tonebone pedals sound best into Clean amps if you try and drive an amp that already is overdriven it can sound bad.

What type of amp do you use?

I use the Classic with a 59 Bassman RI and Blues Deluxe RI, both are 6L6 based and to me they sound great with that type of amp set clean. My guitars are a Les Paul and PRS McCarty plenty of crunch with this setup!

17. Occam

Occam Member

I like the flexibility of the tonebone and typically I really like pedals with a strong mid-range...they just cut through a band mix better and have more aggression to them. The OCD is much more amp like and a more refined sounding pedal. They both have their uses but then again I still own my OCD and not my Classic anymore.

18. Mullet Kingdom

Mainly a Mesa Blue Angel -- which sounds great in certain applications; in my case big, fat crunch for power chords and such. But trying to dial it in for lower gain OD sounds with said amp wasn't doing it for me. At one point I disconnected the pedal from the signal chain and turned the amp up louder -- which sounds awesome but isn't always practical.

Update: I used the tonebone classic with a fender Blues Deluxe at a rehearsal the other night and it sounded killer. So I guess I better hang onto it. I've had it for nearly a year and still haven't tried it through my Super Reverb. If I don't like it through the Super I'll definitely get rid of it.

I guess if you don't have a love/hate relationship with your gear you aren't playing it. :YinYang :NUTS

Still haven't tried an OCD; don't have an opinion on it -- but based on everything I've heard about it I'll probably want to have one of those too. :drool

19. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Alright - I voted on this, because I received my OCD on Monday and have had a few nights to play around with it. It bumped out my Tonebone Classic for sure. I play through a Mesa Maverick (clean channel only) and I kick the gain up a bit to get a little grittiness. The Tonebone just seemed to be fighting my amp...where as the OCD compliments it nicely.

I originally had the Hot British version - it was simply too hot for my tastes, so I swapped it for the Classic. It a versitle pedal, but there's just too much compression and not enough 'open-ness' for me. I am suprised how much gain the OCD has...but it's very controllable. It will serve as my Hi gain pedal. Timmy and the MXR Micro amp will take on the boost responsibilities. Still haven't got my Timmy yet - but I hear it works well with OCDs...we'll see.

20. Tprince

Tprince Member

I live by my Tonebone. Def. better than the OCD, and a good deal more versatile.