Tonebone Classic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

My wife bought me one for Christmas, out of the blue, I never told her I wanted one. So. it shows up today and I open the box and there it is and I've got to say it sounds good. I haven't gotten past the first suggested setting yet and may not, it sounds good. Anyway, cool gift that I totally didn't expect.

What settings do you like? (if you have one)

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Nice wife you got there! The classic is a really great pedal. Are you playing it through a clean amp? That's where it really shines.

I own a hot brit, so can't help you out with settings, but I did play one once and was duly impressed. Just do what the manual says, start with everything at 12:00 and all the switches off (maybe the drive setting on mid gain), and start twisting!

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

4. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

It's got a nice sound Ed..my Tube King can't get clean with just picking technique...hmmmmmm

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

THe TB classic is very versatile, I've used that for a good couple of years and always able to dial in a good tone. Just dont try and use it into a overdriven amp Tonebones work best into a clean amp.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Guitar is a home made All Parts strat with Seymour Duncan 52's and the amp is a Holland Gibb Droll with Kendrick Blackframe 10's. There is a little Echo Park there too.

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

nd by the way, cograts on the new son!!

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i like mine too. i set it for heavy distortion on many of my mojave clips and it still sounds amplike. but i run it with a compressor in front of it at all times...either a tone press or a dynacomp...which gives it extra response and fullness.

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Nice playing bro!

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Not like you're waiting, but sorry... I couldn't do any clips last night. I'll try after work tonight.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Sounded cool. Same question for you, what guitar, amp? Also, what settings? I'd like to try those.

The low gain thing is just me, I'll most likely use mine as recorded. I tried an Analogman TS9 in front of it and it boosts it good but not much of a volume jump at all and a Time Machine Booster works cool in front of it as well.

I've noticed every forum has it's fair haired pick of od pedals and all I can say is if the ones everyone here talk up so much are truely better than the Tonebone, you guys have got some amazing stomps.

I like the Classic far better than my OCD.

14. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I like the classic also .I use a keeley compressor in front of it and it just sings! Take some time and experiment with different setting this thing can be really dialed in. I put a blackplate rca 12ax7 in mine and it also made a difference.Have fun!

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

TopHat Club Royale set clean (kinda voxish)
    PRS McCarty Rosewood

Tonebone Settings:
    Volume 3 (oclock)
    Treble 9
    Bass 2.5
    Filter 5 (wide open, no filter)
    Drive 1st setting low gain switch and control 12 oclock.
    Drive 2nd setting medium gain switch and control at 2 oclock

Switches: Top end Flat, Mid boost out

My amp has a crisp top end and so does the Tonebone (upper highs) so I attenuate the treble quite a bit with the treble control only.

As for better OD/distortion I don't think there's anything better either. The only pedals I find as good for there own thing is the Lovepedal Eternity and the Keeley RAT. Both of which are on my live pedal board. The Tonebone is usually used for my home stuff, or unless I need a real crisp modern type of distortion for a gig or recording. Kind a funny they call this thing a "Classic" and compare it to "American" style amps (Fender I'm sure) sounds really nothing like that IMO. Maybe why some don't dig it around here, were expecting something different. What it is though, is a great modern style of distortion, I think it's incredible!!