Tonebone Hot British vs. Keeley DS-1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I currently own and love my hot british pedal, but it's such a HUGE pedal. I want to free up a bit of real estate on my board, as currently the external tap tempo pedal for my dd-20 is squished between the dd-20 and my crybaby, and it's not easy to tap in a setting (and no, there is nowhere else I can put the footswitch, my board is optimally arranged).

How does the keeley ds-1 compare to the hot british? Can I get similar tones with it?

2. RickB

RickB Member

I have both and often switch one for the other. The Keeley DS-1 Ultra gets very close with much less noise and is more articulate. The HB has that "over the top" to it though that is hard to match as well as the tube "feel". I would say that the Keeley DS-1 Ultra is a tad bit more tame but is definitely in the same league.

3. humbert

humbert Member

I use some pretty hot pickups, and I find that the Keeley DS-1 Ultra gets too squishy for me -- with my roomate's Strat, it's much better. It's pretty reactive to your guitar and amp.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, humbert. Do you mean too compressed? I use a les paul studio with what I believe are stock humbuckers (I bought it used).

RickB, thanks for your answer. I should add that I only use the Hot British with the voicing set on fat. I don't find the Hot British such a breathtaking pedal on flat EQ. Does the DS-1 Ultra come close to this mode as well?

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've never heard any modified DS-1 come close to the Hot British, I had the Keeley, Analogman, even tried the Monte Allums mod! The Hot Brit will smoke it!

6. RickB

RickB Member

Yes, I only use the HB on fat. The other settings are too scooped or just "flat" for lack of a better term.

I also primarily use single coils. As I said before, I think they are in the same league but the HB is more over the top in terms of gain and feel. So I agree with the last statement that the HB smokes it but I don't think the Ultra is too far off.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

interesting opinions. Okay, new questions:

(a)Would it make a difference live? For example, say you play a rockin' song to a crowd using the HB. Then say, a week later you come back and play the same song to the same crowd, only this time using the DS-1. Would the crowd notice? In other words, does the DS-1 do the same job as the HB, if an inferior version?

If so, then I can put the DS-1 on my board and use the HB strictly for studio work. The DS-1 is supposedly a kickass pedal as a standalone, so I hear

(b) is there another pedal comparable to the hot british but in a smaller, boss-type housing?

8. humbert

humbert Member

I use a modded 1985 rat with an extra LED in the clipping section -- it gets really touch sensitive, and I've modded it for a little extra bass response.

Not QUITE a Marshall sound -- a little on the fuzzy side. But it's crunchy (and great gain) below 1:00. It probably has a little more sustain and compression than the Hot Brit, but it sounds pretty damn awesome when I play "Unchained" or "Estranged" through it.

About the Keeley DS-1, I don't know. It seems a little bright and splatty for my tastes -- but that may just be the fact that I'm running a Super Reverb on "bright" for my clean sound. It's not quite for me. Maybe I'd like the Hot Brit better. Probably would not sound too different, playing the Hot Brit on "Flat" treble or maybe on "Bright" with the high control down a bit, when compared to the DS-1. Audience probably wouldn't notice.

9. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Only if the crowd was made up of forum members from here (and only maybe then).